This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Newbie Question

Hi All - I am new to Sophos. I am looking to use it at home. I have 2 young boys and I want to get control of our internet prior to any problems occuring. A friend of mine recommended the fortigate FG-60E. It looks great, however, I would prefer a solution that's a little more reasonable. In my research, it looks like SOPHOS UTM is a great option.

The features (use cases) I am looking for are as follows.

1. Control each device's access to the internet by schedule

2. Have the ability to get daily reports of each devices internet activity

3. Throttle devices

I know it does a ton of other things, but those are the main items I'm interested in doing.

My question is, are the use cases above easily accomplished with the sophos UTM home version? Is there a specific make/model for a device that can easily be deployed/installed?

Thanks for the help!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Alec and welcome to the UTM Community!

While Doug is correct about future development on the UTM vs XG, I wonder if it's a concern in your situation.  In any case, both UTM and XG home versions have the same capabilities as the commercial versions. of the products

All of the things you want to do are done straightforwardly with the UTM and there's a plethora of advice here in the Community to guide you.  For advice on getting an adequate-but-inexpensive device to run the software, see the last few pages of *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).  In light of Doug's excellent advice, you might want to read HTTPS Decrypt and Scan FAQ.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Alec and welcome to the UTM Community!

While Doug is correct about future development on the UTM vs XG, I wonder if it's a concern in your situation.  In any case, both UTM and XG home versions have the same capabilities as the commercial versions. of the products

All of the things you want to do are done straightforwardly with the UTM and there's a plethora of advice here in the Community to guide you.  For advice on getting an adequate-but-inexpensive device to run the software, see the last few pages of *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).  In light of Doug's excellent advice, you might want to read HTTPS Decrypt and Scan FAQ.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data