This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hostname in logs with only UTM as DNS server

Hi all,

I have been through a bunch of posts but can't quite find an answer.

The main goal is to have hostnames show up in my firewall (and other?) logs.  additional bonus is stable lookup between hosts on my network, which hasn't worked right for some time but my i am small enough shop that it doesn't end up mattering much.  I am a home user, i don't have a separate DNS server (though I have a rpi that could be drafted, if absolutely necessary).  UTM is DNS/DHCP, etc server.  Over the years, I have whittled down the other servers in my network and have mostly just plain clients of various home type sorts.

I did see  the DNS best practices (https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000034974?language=en_US) but it seems to keep pointing to an internal server to resolve the reverse in-addr addresses.  I have marked 'reverse DNS' on most, if not all, hosts

So the main question, do I need a separate, internal DNS server to allow my firewall log to list server names instead of IPs?  Is what I am hoping even possible?

Thanks in advance for your time.

ej

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • As i know ...

Firewall-live log don't resolve hostnames.

You only got IP's

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi EJ and welcome back to the UTM Community!

Rather than have your devices get random IP addresses from DHCP, have DHCP assign fixed IPs based on their MAC addresses.  Remember that the UTM's DHCP server is not like Windows DHCP which uses "reservations" - you must assign fixed IPs outside the 'Range' of the DHCP server.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA