This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

TMG - find equivilent stats for Sophos UTM "users/sessions"

Hi

We are looking to replace our very old TMG reverse proxy with Sophos UTM. However when it comes to licensing for UTM it seems we ideally need to know number of users/sessions.  This was described by Sophos support as number of connections through the system including individual elements of a website being requested etc.

Does anyone know what this would be called on the TMG and how i can get some stats around our current use?  It might be that we need far less than what we think and thus wouldn't need the unlimited license.

Regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • if you buy a hardware appliance it is licensed for unlimited connections.

The possible connections are restricted by hardware of appliance only.

A Sg with limited IP's count internal IP's (including VPN-Users) only.

never seen external IP's within the "active IP address list".

How many users would connect to your webserver simultaneously?

Which type of webserver you think to publish?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi Dirkkotte, thank you for replying.

We are looking at virtual appliances running on our Hyper V clusters.

Oh that's intersesting, so you don't think the licensing for this includes external connections?

We have a variety of websites we'd be publishing including Solarwinds platforms and some internally built "portals" for customers.  Sophos told me that "users" are technically sessions rather than literal users?  That is the big question.  I'd like to be able to find out this info from TMG so we can then get the right licensing for UTM which brings us back to my original main question :).  I did run some reports on our TMG but it all came back with no data so was next to useless.

• Hi Dirkkotte, thank you for replying.

We are looking at virtual appliances running on our Hyper V clusters.

Oh that's intersesting, so you don't think the licensing for this includes external connections?

We have a variety of websites we'd be publishing including Solarwinds platforms and some internally built "portals" for customers.  Sophos told me that "users" are technically sessions rather than literal users?  That is the big question.  I'd like to be able to find out this info from TMG so we can then get the right licensing for UTM which brings us back to my original main question :).  I did run some reports on our TMG but it all came back with no data so was next to useless.

Children
  • Hi Mark and welcome to the UTM Community!

Ask Sophos for reseller recommendations in your area - given Brexit, you probably don't want one outside the UK ;-).  You will want at least a Gold Solution Partner with a strong reputation for solid UTM configurations.  Although a UTM configuration is easy to administer and modify after being configured by someone very familiar with WebAdmin, even strong CCNPs will create a first WebAdmin configuration that will cost more to fix than if the original work had been done by a Sophos Certified Architect with at least a year of experience.

The reseller you choose should be able to advise you on the most cost-effective solution.  As Dirk points out, external IPs aren't counted.  Whether you would be better off with Sophos hardware (IPs not counted) or your own hardware (internal IPs counted) depends on your situation.  In any case, I would recommend using full-meshed Hot-Standby as in the attached image.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA