This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can you change default admin creds if you dont have password?

I know that question seems odd, with anything else i have used or run i could disable or delete default and do everything from a created admin account. I followed my standard internal process of doing just that except i cannot disable to delete admin from sophos. So i created the best random password i could (hit many many keys on keyboard randomly). Needless to say now unless i am not doing something correctly, cannot log in via ssh and a few searches says i need to log in with default. Is there a way around this or do i get the pleasure of installing again?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Thomas - welcome to the UTM Community!

You can hook up a keyboard and a monitor to the device running UTM and login as root.  If you've never logged in as root, you will be presented with an opportunity to create the password for it.  Once you're in at the command line, you can change the admin password to P4ssw*rd with the following command:

cc passwd P4ssw*rd

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • So when installing you have to choose root password, I did that. Used that password to get everything up. Once i created a new admin account (which works for everything not sure why you cannot have ssh access with it). I changed root password to a super random one that i will win the lotto guessing before ever do on the key board. If i could change the attempts to infiity i could brute force it but unfortunately cant do that either :-).

• If you lost admin-password and root-password you have the option to do a cold root password recovry at linux-level.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• cool, is there a doc somewhere i can follow?

So rebooting and seeing what i could find there was an option to choose firmware and boot into a troubleshooting mode, which was an option that had the ability to reset password to default. I am good now thanks for the direction.

• Guides:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/115346

https://www.fastvue.co/sophos/blog/reset-sophos-utm-webadmin-password/

my way: booting from live linux CD and removing encrypted password for root user from 2 files (passwd and something with "shadow" i think) works too.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

Reply Children
No Data