This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM forces DNS on clients?

Apologies if I've managed to land in the wrong place with this question.

I'm a first time home user of Sophos UTM but familiar with other UTMs as part of my day job.

I've got everything up and running and very happy with the logging/filtering etc but am struggling with one thing.  I have clients on my home network with different DNS servers passed to them by DHCP depending on whether they're known adult devices or child/guest devices.

Adult devices get Google DNS, child devices get OpenDNS with a strict set of filters applied.

The issue that I've run into is that the UTM seems to rewrite DNS requests, or possibly that the web filter only uses the configured DNS forwarder.

This means that if I set the DNS on the UTM to OpenDNS, the adult devices (incorrectly) get OpenDNS applied to their browsing, or if I set Google DNS on the UTM the child devices no longer have OpenDNS to their browsing.

If anyone can point me at what I've messed up/missed in my configuration it would be appreciated!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Ben and welcome to the UTM Community!

WebAdmin is a GUI that manipulates databases of objects and settings.  A single change there can cause the Configuration Daemon to rewrite hundreds of lines of the code used to run the UTM.  Your current solution isn't practical with the UTM.  Web Filtering has many more options than what you can do with OpenDNS - I would urge you to take a look at that.  If you don't have a method for identifying users, you can create different Web Filtering Profiles for different devices.  Within a Profile, you can have Policies that take effect at different times of the day.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA