This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I use two WiFi routers with my UTM, one on either side of it to have one secure WiFi network and one open?

Can I use two router with my UTM, one on either side of it? 

My UTM is working great to protect my home network full of IoT devices.  I have it set up as ISP Modem -> UTM -> WiFi router.  However, the UTM and my work VPN do not play nice so I have a second internet line to the house dedicated for my work device only. 

I am trying to save money, and was curious if I could set my work WiFi router before the UTM to avoid the VPN conflicts with it.  So can this configuration work?  ISP modem -> WiFi router for work -> UTM -> WiFi router for home use and IoT devices. 

Thanks in advance, I know I could just test this myself but wanted professional advice on this incase it is a dumb idea.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Tim Coyle,

I have no problems with any VPN services via either the UTM or the XG.

I am wondering what VPN you are using??

what errors are you getting?

as the only one with specific settings on the UTM is PPTP, which has an option within

Network Protecion >> Firewall >> Advanced, just check the PPTP at the top, as it requires the connection tracker to function correctly.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• No errors, but the web based pages I use for work cannot fully render... they time out when through the UTM.  I've tried troubleshooting this in the past on this forum and no matter what its too slow, hence the dedicated line.  

Specific to this new post, theoretically will it work?  Having a WiFi unsecured before the UTM and just connecting my work device to it, then on the other-side of the UTM having my personal WiFi and network.  Or will that break something with the routing?

• Yes it will work but you have double (or maybe even triple) NAT on your UTM depending whether your ISP modem is already a NAT-device. That's not something really desireable and manageable when you ever need to configure port-forwarding rules to devices inside the UTM's LAN.

If you really must follow this setup (work wifi directly connected to ISP-modem) and the ISP-modem is already doing NAT, then you could connect both the work wifi and the UTM WAN connection to a LAN-port of the ISP-modem. That way traffic from your UTM doesn't have to also travel through the work wifi router.

Better would be to find out where the issues with your work VPN come from; imho these should be resolvable.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Sounds like you have transparent proxy or proxy enabled, have you tried to put this site in the exception list so that it is not captured by the proxy?

Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Sounds like you have transparent proxy or proxy enabled, have you tried to put this site in the exception list so that it is not captured by the proxy?

Children
No Data