This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Telstra Fibre - Traffic Shaping

Hi,

We have just upgraded a couple of clients to Telstra Fibre here in Australia and have been given a document about setting up Traffic Shaping.

Traffic_Shaping_Guidelines.pdf

The example they give is for a Cisco Router:

Step 1

Create Policy Map

policy-map

class class-default

shape average

E.g. For a 20Mbps service:

router(config)# policy-map Exetel_20M_service

class class-default

shape average 19600000 200000 0

If the CPE does not accept ‘0’ for excess-burst, input a small value. E.g. 1000

Step 2

Apply Policy Map to interface/sub-interface

interface ethernet

service-policy output

E.g. attach our 20M Service policy to the outgoing

Fast Ethernet interface

router(config)# interface FastEthernet4

service-policy output Exetel_20M_service

Have attached the pdf file as well.

Can we do this on the UTM?

I have configured QoS via the GUI for the interface to use 19.6 Mbps for upload and download but would assume this is not enough?

Regards

Andy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The easiest way to implement a traffic control is to navigate to the dashboard.   In the upper right corner, there is an icon for each interface.   Click on the icon for your WAN interface.   A pop-up window will appear.   After a few seconds, it will populate all of the active applications and their current bandwidth usage.   To the right of each row are buttons for block, shape, and throttle.   UTM will prompt you and then create all of the objects needed to make the rule work.    Throttle provides an upper limit on bandwidth.   Shaping always requires a minimum bandwidth and optionally takes an upper limit.  Block disables use of the application.

Here is my understanding of both Cisco and UTM objects:

• I think Cisco Class Map is equivalent to the UTM Traffic Selector, which is the traffic you want to control.   I think UTM has more flexibility on selection, because of its application identifiers.
    • I think Cisco Service Policy is equivalent to the UTM Bandwidth Pool object (for traffic shaping) or Download Throttle object (for traffic limiting) 

Everything about Cisco ASA seems to require layers of complexity to configure, but ASDM helps.   UTM is all GUI, and more intuitive.

• The easiest way to implement a traffic control is to navigate to the dashboard.   In the upper right corner, there is an icon for each interface.   Click on the icon for your WAN interface.   A pop-up window will appear.   After a few seconds, it will populate all of the active applications and their current bandwidth usage.   To the right of each row are buttons for block, shape, and throttle.   UTM will prompt you and then create all of the objects needed to make the rule work.    Throttle provides an upper limit on bandwidth.   Shaping always requires a minimum bandwidth and optionally takes an upper limit.  Block disables use of the application.

Here is my understanding of both Cisco and UTM objects:

• I think Cisco Class Map is equivalent to the UTM Traffic Selector, which is the traffic you want to control.   I think UTM has more flexibility on selection, because of its application identifiers.
    • I think Cisco Service Policy is equivalent to the UTM Bandwidth Pool object (for traffic shaping) or Download Throttle object (for traffic limiting) 

Everything about Cisco ASA seems to require layers of complexity to configure, but ASDM helps.   UTM is all GUI, and more intuitive.

Children
  • Hi Douglas,

I am just looking to apply traffic shaping on the interface not by application.

This is from the ISP who is providing the Fibre Link via on the Telcos here in Australia.

If CE Firewalls are not able to perform the correct shaping their upload speeds will be affected.

Download speeds won’t be affected as the download traffic is shaped on Exetel end.

This is what I would like the UTM to do otherwise we will need to put a Router between the UTM and the NTU.

Thanks

Andy