This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Guide on troubleshooting FTP issues?

Dear all,

Good morning to you. I am relatively new and just joined this forum. Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question or not. Please direct me to the correct place or advise me further if it is wrong.

I am the IT Staff for a Company and last year we purchased Sopho Firewall UTM 9 from a vendor and the configuration and installation was done by them. Fast forward to near to 1 year later, I realize there might be some configuration issue. At the moment, my users are unable to access an FTP site provided by an external party. However I can easily access the external FTP site when using mobile data or outside company network which lead me to suspect that the firewall might be blocking users from accessing external FTP sites.

I have contacted my vendor but they mentioned that the maintenance coverage of Sophos only covers hardware and software issues but does not cover reconfiguration of firewall as it is not troubleshooting even though I am unsure if it is the firewall settings that is causing the block. And as stated by the vendor, any reconfiguration is chargeable as well. Hence please kindly advise how I can go about troubleshooting this issue or making any changes in the UTM Web admin control page by myself or is expert assistance require for such reconfiguration?

Thank for any advise in advance.

Best regards,

Peter

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • In the general sense, you need to determine what port(s) your external ftp uses (standard ftp port is 21). Then determine if UTM is set up to allow access to these ports.

Was this ftp site accessible when the firewall was first installed?

Creating a permission to allow access is not difficult, but does require understanding some basic firewall concepts.

First and foremost, before making any changes, generate a backup of the firewall configuration in its current state.

• Hi Peter and welcome to the UTM Community!

This is certainly a configuration issue, not a break/fix issue that would be covered by the Sophos warranty.

Start your troubleshooting by doing #1 in Rulz.  Did that show you anything?

There is a UTM Administrator course that your company might want to consider for you.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Read the wiki articles.  My entry on "Securing and Configuring Web Filter" has a section on FTP issues.