This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SG 115 | Slow Download Speeds

I can not for the life of me figure this out. I have a SG 115 running the latest firmware (home edition license) and my internet speed is being cut in half once it enters the UTM. I have a 100 down, 10 up connection from my ISP and I only get about 47 down and 6 up. I have turned off ALL services (including IPS) and it does not seem to help at all. According to the logs, my CPU usage has never been above 20% since I installed the unit and RAM usage has never been over 35%. Can anybody lend me some insight on what my issue might be?

If I bypass the firewall and plug my laptop directly in the modem, I get my full speeds.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Nathan Hall,

I think you should:

1. Check connection from model to Sophos, example cable, port,...
    2. Check the configure in Sophos, like traffic shaping, firewall rule,...

If possible, please share some picture.

- XG v17 Technician Certificate -

• Make sure that disabling is really the (0-1) button and not "not having any active entries". My sg115w was performing very bad when IDP/IPS was active. Make all updates, backup your config and then do a full reset. Test it just after the reset. If it's fine, reload the backed up config.

• Unknown said:

Hi Nathan Hall,

I think you should:

1. Check connection from model to Sophos, example cable, port,...
    2. Check the configure in Sophos, like traffic shaping, firewall rule,...

If possible, please share some picture.

Thanks Huy, I've confirmed that all connections are firmly connected and I have no traffic shaping rules in place. I do have some firewall rules but if having maybe 5 rules activated is causing a 50% slow down, I'm throwing this thing in the garbage.

mjpmotw said:

Make sure that disabling is really the (0-1) button and not "not having any active entries". My sg115w was performing very bad when IDP/IPS was active. Make all updates, backup your config and then do a full reset. Test it just after the reset. If it's fine, reload the backed up config.

Thanks mjmotw, I've confirmed that the actual (0-1) switch is in the OFF position on these services. Looks like I will have to do a factory reset =/

• Nathan, check #7 in Rulz.  Based on your posts, you can skip the step of changing the modem.

Have you tried disabling all the tools in the Intrusion Prevention section as well as Web Filtering?  Have you tried running a speed test on two PCs simultaneously to confirm that they together fill up the pipe?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA