This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Blocking an External IP address in Sophos UTM

Hello all!

So over the course of the last day or two, we've been experiencing network slowness when trying to access web or anything external. After taking a deeper look today at some logs, I noticed that we are experienced some what of a DDoS. IPS logs are being flooded with traffic from several different IPs. The firewall logs are also blocking traffic from different IPs that are originating from the same MAC that the IPS logs are indicate.

What I've done so for is create a Network Group and put some ranges and IPs in them and just named the group "Bad IPs"

Created a fw rule from that group to drop any packets on any service coming to our external address.

After this, the addresses were still appearing in the IPS logs. So I created a DNAT rule upon further reading on here, and told the "Bad IPs" group on any service going to my external address to go to a blackhole address notes in Rulz #2.

IPS logs are still showing the IPs coming through.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to completely block them from reaching the fw?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Justin,

create a blackhole route with a fake ip under static routing and create a d-nat rule with source=Bad IPs, service=any, Going to=external interfaces and change destinatiion to the blackhole route (fake IP).

Regards

mod

• "the same MAC " will be the MAC of your ISP's last-hop router before the UTM.  Please show a line from the Intrusion Prevention log where a DNAT'd packet was tossed by Snort.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Please test the blackhole route. I'm sure that with this configuration "all" packets are silently dropped. You don't need a firewall rule, just the d-nat rule without the auto checkbox.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Regards

mod