Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Firmware version does not match with manual version

Hello, 
I have 7.505 firmware and I have just downloaded the manual from webadmin. I was surprised reading that the version of pdf is for 7.506. I think that ASG should check the firmware version before upgrading the documentation...
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    Hello eclipse79,

that behaviour is intended so that customers get an updated online help (removed errors etc.).
    That's different with the major version V8, however. V7 customers do not get a V8 online help or manual.
  • Hmmm.....

Just looked into the manual (of 7.506) yesterday:
    Network Security > Intrusion Prevention > Exceptions

There i read this f.ex.:
    For All Requests: Select at least one condition for which the security checks are to be skipped. You can logically combine several conditions by selecting either And or Or from the drop-down list in front of a condition. The following conditions can be set:

* Coming from These Source Networks: Select to add source hosts/networks that should be exempt from the security checks of this exception rule. Enter the respective hosts or networks in the Hosts/Networks dialog box that opens after selecting the condition.
        * Using These Services: Select to add services that should be exempt from the security checks of this exception rule. Add the respective services to the Services dialog box that opens after selecting the condition.
        * Going to These Destinations: Select to add hosts/networks that should be exempt from the security checks of this exception rule. Enter the respective hosts or networks in the Destinations dialog box that opens after selecting the condition.

But V7 does not have this feature as i see in the WebAdmin (screenshot attached)

• that behaviour is intended so that customers get an updated online help (removed errors etc.).

Hmmm.....

Just looked into the manual (of 7.506) yesterday:
    Network Security > Intrusion Prevention > Exceptions

There i read this f.ex.:

But V7 does not have this feature as i see in the WebAdmin (screenshot attached)

Ana, the behaviour is intended but, in my humble opinion, is not correct. I didn't notice the discrepancy seen by Whity. I simply noticed the wireless functions addedd in 7.506 and not present in 7.505. You have to admit that a manual for a different firmware release has more disadvantages than benefits. Perhaps the manual should be updated only when update is installed.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    @Whity: thanks, that's obviously a mistake.

@eclipse79: It's not that I don't see your point and agree with it. But the decision has been to rather have an up-to-date help.

As far as I know also there is currently no functionality to allow for the version number regarding pattern updates (the helps come via pattern updates).

But as I said, I see your points and I will propose to reconsider this issue.
  • Why not maintaining a help for all 7.5xx versions and simply mark newly added feature with some sort of side column with the version number where it was added the first time...
    Same for all 8.0xx etc.
  • Just to resume this discussion: I know that is an intended behaviour, but perhaps Astaro should re-consider it... I have v8.103 and in my ASG there is the manual of 8.200... It's fine if you want a preview of new features but not very useful if you need documentation of your own installation...
  • @eclipse:  That is very strange since the 8.200 manual wasn't even included within Astaro until the late RC builds, and the 8.103 u2d package was released in late MAY....before much of the documentation for 8.200 was even written.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • There are help updates that come over the up2date mechanism. Probably that's the way how eclipse79 got the new manual...
  • @eclipse:  That is very strange since the 8.200 manual wasn't even included within Astaro until the late RC builds, and the 8.103 u2d package was released in late MAY....before much of the documentation for 8.200 was even written.

Perhaps Morach has right, it is deployed by up2date... see the screenshot of my dashboard/help... as you can see there are features such as the Search Engine Reports that have been added in 8.200...
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    As it happens, we just had a discussion on that online help version handling topic today and it was agreed upon to *fanfare* change our current update process to allow for the installed system version.

But bear with us, as the realisation may take some time.