Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Improving the Online Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
Hi,

this subforum is new and dedicated to Astaro's help formats Online Help & PDF.

This is your chance to improve the quality of the help!
Tell us

• what you miss in the help
  • what you don't understand in the help
  • what is explained in too much detail or too verbosely
  • general mistakes

Thanks for your dedication and support!
  • Thanks for your explanation, Alan. Now it's clear :-)

Javier
  • Hi, The online manual doesn't seem to explain that the IM/P2P security must be enabled for the built-in QOS classifiers to work.
    Also, it's not clear if each protocol in IM/P2P security must be set to 'log' for the afc to work.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Aloha,

I am a complete noob with setting up a dedicated PC as a router.

I just downloaded the v7 ASG software for home (free), and I would like to install it on a second machine and learn how to configure the gateway-firewall for improved security.

However, the faq, KB, and video's only show how to setup the software after it is installed.

I am looking specifically how to perform all of the installation for my network..

Specifically,  It is not clear to me how to use my current netgear nat router (if at all) in the cabling scheme?

Specifically, It is not clear to me how to connect-cable the the gateway computer to my vista machine..

Specifically, my gateway pc for the ASG software only has a single nic.  I can cable that to the modem (or my netgear router, if that is necessary/recommended), but I don't know how I would cable or what is recommended for the cabling scheme to my vista machine.

last question:

I am running trend micro on my vista machine, both firewall and av/malware detection active.  Will this interfere with the ASG gateway machine/software...I read many times that running two firewalls is not a good idea, as they can conflict.  

This submission is in the spirit to help astaro perhaps write a more "noob" level of the complete setup requirements, perhaps even with a video, so the typical home user knows EXACTLY how to properly cable, configure, what device order is required, and what if any concerns or issues with regard to conflict in firewall.

In the meantime, I plan to scour the forum and google to find these answers.

As I said, I am a complete noob, with little experience confuging DIY router pc's. I am equally new and inexperiences with astaro and this website...please don't throttle me with insults!...

thank you!

Aloha
    hydro
  • In 9.006, for the WAF, under Real WebServers, the built-in help says:

Optionally, make the following advanced settings:

Use HTTP keepalive: By default, the WAF uses HTTP keepalive, i.e., HTTP persistent connections, which helps to reduce CPU and memory usage. In rare cases where the real webserver does not support HTTP keepalive properly, this feature can provoke reading errors or timeouts and should then be disabled for the affected webserver. When a virtual webserver is assigned at least one real webserver with HTTP keepalive disabled, the feature will automatically be disabled for all real webservers assigned to this virtual webserver.

I cannot find this setting.
    I don't know if the docs are wrong, or the setting is missing for some reason.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Hi Barry,

this checkbox was not added until version 9.1. So it's correct that you don't find it. 

But your online help has a newer version than the software itself: Take a look at the online help's footer and you will probably find "Sophos UTM 9.102". The reason is that the online help versions are updated regularly with the pattern updates. Everyone having any version 9 UTM always has the newest existing version 9 online help - unless you disable the pattern updates what I do not recommend.
    Instead I recommend to download the administration guide pdf matching your UTM version (pdf and online help have exactly the same content, only the pdf has some more images).
    You can find the links here.

I know that this is an unattractive workaround - sorry for that. [:$]
    We want to improve the online help delivering process, but the priority is still not high enough. Perhaps it would help to add it as a feature request? [;)]
  • That sounds like a bug to me, but I've added it at: Keep online help in sync with UTM version

I'm out of votes now [:(]

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Yes you are right, it's rather a bug.
    I supported it with 3 votes. [:)]
    Cheers
    Heike
  • Keep online help in sync with UTM version

While waiting for a help to sync with the version, perhaps it would make sense to include a disclaimer that shows up when users bring up help.  Something like a "Help is current with version x.***" statement, or a date or something.
  • Hello,

I would like to see a list of the available log files and what information is kept inside of the each log. I searched online and in the admin manual but was unable to find a anything stating what information is contained inside of each log.

Thank you Jonathan