Improving the Online Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
Hi,

this subforum is new and dedicated to Astaro's help formats Online Help & PDF.

This is your chance to improve the quality of the help!
Tell us

• what you miss in the help
  • what you don't understand in the help
  • what is explained in too much detail or too verbosely
  • general mistakes

Thanks for your dedication and support!
  • Hi, Ana, it's great to have you on the Astaro team!  Your task is one that has had a back seat for too long at Astaro.

The fundamental problem with the Help is that it does nothing more than open the users' manual and jump to the relevant page.  While that's better than nothing, it's not much better, so the good news is that you can make some incredible progress fairly easily.

If you increase the utility of the on-line manual, you kill two birds with one stone.

• Add a 'Search the Users' Manual' box to the interface to allow pop-up, indexed searches of the entire content.  That allows you to skip the labor-intensive process of creating hyperlinks.

• Add a 'Search the KnowledgeBase' box to allow pop-up, indexed searches of the KB. 

Here, the problem is more complex as the articles in the KB are poorly indexed.  Often, the word one's looking for does not even appear in the article.  For example, if you don't already know to look for "policy routing," you can't find it by searching on "connect subnets."  In this area, I would suggest leaving the pre-V7 articles as-is, but making an effort to improve the indexing in light of my comment.  To the KB interface, you should include a feedback link that appears inside the article when displayed, and an invitation to suggest additional index words if the person initially searched on different terms.

Cheeers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Astaro should be soliciting these.  I would be glad to offer several I've created for no other payment than the mention "Contributed by Bob Alfson of MediaSoft, Inc."

I know theres been discussion about using wiki technology inside Astaro.  Wiki would handle this very well as the 'history' page for each article shows who contributed what if anyone cares.

The beauty of a KnowledgeBase moved to a wiki is that that can be done without much effort, and improvements can be achieved with little further effort by Astaro employees.  Then again, I think Astaro would be amazed at the improvement in customer service and the reduction in technical support requests if Astaro support engineers were required to spend a half-hour each day editing portions of the wiki related to issues dealt with that day.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • See above post.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to BAlfson
    Hi BAlfson,

thank you for your warm welcome and your ideas.
    So far, I can say that the implementation of a search function in our online help is already planned. (I proposed this function myself some weeks ago [;)] )

Regarding the Knowledge Base, we need to validate how we want to improve it. Whether there will be a wiki or not, I can't say right now, but I see your strong Pro arguments.
  • Hi Ana,

I agreee with Bob that the user Manual should get improved and updated to became really helpfull. In the past, a lot of new features introduced by each new release, wheren't explained in the Manual at the same time. The new incomming v7.400 seems to ''correct'' this situation and that's really great! [;)]

And now, I'll provide you a little ''homework'' [:)] Many releases ago, there where introduced a new ''option'' during the definition process of an object under Definitions » Networks. When you define a new Host, Network, DNS Host, etc. you can select the ''Interface'' for this object. Several times in the past, I've been contacted by Astaro newbies to explain exactly for what is used this option because they can't exactly figure out and they couldn't fin any information in the online help.

Thank's for your help and I hope to contact you in the future with more ideas/improvements
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to suzzyx
    Thanks for this hint, suzzyx. Slipped through somehow, I guess [;)]

• [...]

And now, I'll provide you a little ''homework'' [:)] Many releases ago, there where introduced a new ''option'' during the definition process of an object under Definitions » Networks. When you define a new Host, Network, DNS Host, etc. you can select the ''Interface'' for this object. Several times in the past, I've been contacted by Astaro newbies to explain exactly for what is used this option because they can't exactly figure out and they couldn't fin any information in the online help.

Thank's for your help and I hope to contact you in the future with more ideas/improvements

Hi,

I'm also interested in this question and haven't found anything neither in the online help nor in the forums. What is the Interface option for? Can somebody explain it for me?

Thanks for your help
  • Hi,

I'm also interested in this question and haven't found anything neither in the online help nor in the forums. What is the Interface option for? Can somebody explain it for me?

Thanks for your help

Perhaps the best explanation is an example. If you have a DMZ network, and Internal network, and an External network, you may want to allow all traffic from the DMZ out to the internet, but none of it through to your internal network. Normally, you would create two filter rules. 
    One: DMZ(Network) -> Any -> Internal(Network) -> Deny 
    two: DMZ(Network) -> Any -> Any->Allow

Instead, you can nw create a new network definition called Internet. 
    Network: 0.0.0.0 
    mask: /0 
    Interface: External

This network definition will match any packet which should be routed out the external interface. So the above example could be simplified to just one rule:
    DMZ(Network) -> Any -> Internet->Allow.

Make sense?
  • where do you position this pf ? Should it be on the very top (as the deny on DMZ)
  • For Alan's example, it doesn't have to be at the top as it's an ALLOW rule.

(DENY rules need to come before related ALLOW rules, but the order of ALLOW rules to other ALLOWs doesn't matter.)

Barry