Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Virtual Appliance network v9

I have been using ASG since v7 and really love the product.  With every new release, I get more and more excited about the product and tell everyone I know about it.  I use it in a virtual environment and while it hasn't always been the fastest, it has worked well.  However, v9 isn't like that.  It is SLOW.  Example.  When using 8.35, I could get 20-40MB thruput on a speedtest.  When I installed v9 (didn't do an inplace upgrade, I installed a fresh ovf v9 appliance) it has dropped to 8.  When I move the very same VM to another gateway, a netgear POS connected to the same cable modem, I can download at 88.89MB.  Just like EVERYONE else, I am seeing poor v9 performance.  

I don't know if the ovf was really modified from v8 to v9, other than SMP and more RAM.  What I did notice was the NIC's were the flexible NIC's.  Sinec I am not a LINUX guru, I was wondering if there was a how to on how to change the NIC's to VMXNet3 and to get the device to see it.  When I try to add a new NIC, the only selection I have is e1000.  I can edit the VMX file, but I don't know how bad that will screw with the astaro.  I want to get that out of the way before I do any further performance based troubleshooting.
  • Yep, your problem is the Flexible NICs.  I have no earthly idea why the prebuilt appliance is setup with those... 

My suggestion is to do a clean install as follows and import your configuration (instructions are similar to what I sent a customer of mine just the other day) -- note this was for a customer running ESXi 5.x:

2) Use the Software ISO (can be found at http://download.astaro.com/UTM/v9/software_appliance/iso/latest_asg_v9_software.iso )... 
    a. VM Settings:
    i. Set machine type to “Other Linux 64-bit”  (SLES 11 64-bit is also acceptable, as the UTM OS is based on SLES)
    ii. Configure at least 2 cores for processing (more needed if your performance requirements demand it) … no difference really in 2 sockets or 2 cores, single socket settings
    iii. Configure at least 2GB of RAM (more needed if your performance requirements demand it) – the more the better.
    iv. No Floppy
    v. You can opt to map a USB port if you want to use the USB backup file restore functionality, but it’s not really needed in a virtual environment
    vi. Configure a Single SCSI Controller as LSI Logic SAS
    vii. Configure a single Hard Drive, at least 60GB in size.
    1. You can use Thin provisioning most of the time; if you are going to use the HTTP/S Cache / Proxy heavily, Thick provisioning may be a good idea.
    viii. CD Drive:  Map this to the UTM ISO in your data store, etc. for install; make sure you enable it so it’s connected at 1st boot.
    ix. Network Adapters:  Use VMXNET 3 as the NIC type --- define as many as you’ll need for your install – you may have to go back and add more if you need more than 4 initially, but you can do that before the actual install.  Map them to the appropriate vSwitches, etc. as needed.  I recommend setting fixed MAC addresses on the interfaces if possible in your environment.
    b. Install:
    i. Simply boot the VM, and follow the prompts for the software install… the installer will auto detect that it’s on VMware, and will auto-install the VMTools as needed.  Choose to install the 64-bit version of the OS when prompted.
    1. Note that one cannot update the VMware tools as with regular Linux / Windows distros; periodically, Sophos will update the VMTools as needed via their firmware up2date system.
    ii. Configure your interfaces, etc. as needed.
    iii. Login and configure (restore backup files, etc.) as needed.
    iv. Disconnect the CDROM from the Data store ISO.

Sorry about the formatting, didn't exactly paste over that well [:)]

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I think I got it, after a little gnashing of teeth. The first thing I had to do was change the OS type from that generic Linux one to Other 2.6 64bit.  This let me add VMXNet3 cards.

I one by one ripped out the NIC's and replaced them with VMXNet3 NIC's and it seems to work.  I had to do it IN ORDER, meaning, NIC 1 had to be listed first, NIC 2 2nd, NIC 3 3rd.  This may sound like a DUH, but its not.  When the system was up, I tried to rip out NIC 2 and install its replacement.  The replacement NIC went in, but the original did not come out, meaning I had a NIC 4.  When I powered off the device, I could remove NIC 2, but NIC 4 remained.  When I ripped it out and put in a replacement, NIC 2 was listed as the 3rd NIC.  The system didn't like this.  When I got everything in the correct order, all VMXNet3, it worked.  

As a side note, Comcast modems do NOT want to flush their ARP cash for anything, so adding a new NIC with the same IP doesn't work until you reboot the modem.  Stupid.  

Initial pings to the gateway are still 2ms (why?!?!?) and speed test results are inconclusive (download is till slow, but upload is almost up to 30MB/s!!!).  In my current configuration, I have a physical NIC dedicated to the WAN interface, and I think that NIC may be the problem.  The Comcast gateway is showing it as 100MB half duplex when connected.  86.2395% sure that is the culprit, but regardless, I needed to dump those crappy drivers.  I will replace the NIC and report back what I find.