Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

UTM 9 on ASG120ver3

Hello,
i just install UTM 9 on a ASG120ver3 box. I upgraded the box 1GB of RAM.
I used the asg-9.000-8.1.iso from the Astaro download repository.

I could upload the essential license key.
I could upload a backup from a version 7 configuration.
Everything seems to working good.
I rebooted the box and everything seems to work.
I shutdown the box. I start the box, all is starting, at the end of the boot process i got a "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception" message. The box reboots automatically after 12 seconds. I see the bootloader and then I got a black screen and nothing happens.
I can only press the power button, the box goes instantly off. I press again the power button and the box boots till the Kernel panic message.

I attached a photo from the screen with the kernel panic message.

Can you help me whats going wrong?
Thank you in advanced for your help.

Greetings,
  • Hello Loko

Basically this should work. I use the same old, outdated box as home ASG for my parents (also upgraded to 1Gig Memory). UTM9 runs fine with it using Firewalling, Webfiltering (incl. HTTPS and Application Control), Socks Proxy and a RED S2S VPN tunnel and Web Application Firewall for my Brothers dev Website.

IPS is not useable on the box (far too slow), and Reporting of UTM9 gives me all 15mins 100% CPU peaks, but it doesn't really slow down working with the box, so they can live with it ;o)

So I guess the good old 800MHz Via C3 CPU is the absolutely lowest hardware, where UTM9 works more or less acceptable for 2-3 Users ;o))

Probably your issue is also Bios based, as I tweaked some of the available Bios settings from default to my preferred ones - but don't ask which ones, I did this 1 year ago...
  • Hmm this ASG120 has a Via C7 with 1.5Ghz and till the moment i have no users connected to the box. I use only some firewall  and NAT rules and the DHCP server .So nothing special.
    After many turn off turn on session the box booted probably.
    I restart the box and this works also.
    I will see how long it takes till i goes wrong.

Could it be a hardware issue?
  • I don't think an upgrade from 7 to 9 has been certified by Sophos.  You might want to try upgrading to V8 first.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA