Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Slow/jerky SMB/CIFS performance

Hi all,

I've just installed the Astaro 8.300 virtual edition. Previous system was an F5 virtual appliance, which performed fine.

If I make a CIFS connection from the Office (my Mac OSX) to the Lab (Virtual Windows box) and try to copy a file from the Mac to the VM (~2Gb file) I see the first ~58Mb copies at a halfway decent speed, say 2-5MBps/1000-1500 packets per second. After that, the transfer rate drops to 10-20KBps/10-15 packets per second. Establishing a connection from Office to Lab, and copying a file from the VM to the Mac, it never gets beyond 0 bytes.

The Astaro has three interfaces - internal, lab, and external. Internal and Lab use IP masquerading to External (works fine) and there are some DNAT rules to allow incoming connections into the lab network.

The Network Firewall rules are:
  - OfficeNetwork -> Any, allow     (i.e open access from the Office network to anything, on any port, at any time)
  - LabNetwork -> Office, deny      (i.e. don't allow connections from the Lab to the office)
  - LabNetwork -> Any, allow        (i.e. allow the Lab to access anything, except the Office as per the previous rule).

- QOS has been enabled and disabled for the Office and Lab interfaces.
  - Firewall TCP Window Scaling has been enabled and disabled.
  - I had a "Office -> Lab, allow" but removed it to see if that helped.
  - I've also tried changing "Lab -> Office" from Deny to Allow, but that doesn't help either

Things were working fine with the F5 in place, so it's not a configuration issue with the VM or the Mac. File copies that don't go through the firewall (i.e within the Lab or within the office) are fine.

The live log doesn't show any dropped packets from the Mac (office) to the VM (lab).

Any ideas about how to resolve this?
Parents Reply Children
No Data