Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

eth1 down

Hi

Just installed this software ASG v8, and for testing purposes it is running on my lan with eth1 as 192.168.1.179, and eth0 as 192.168.2.100 ( management ).  So, I have eth1 plugged into my switch and my laptop into eth0.  And the dashboard shows that eth1 has state of up, and link of down.  It nevertheless downloaded an update, and is sending emails to advise me of changes.  But I can't browse out from laptop.

What can I do to diagnose the problem and fix it?
  • Hi, GrahamC, and welcome to the User BB!

The installation wizard should have created a Masquerading rule 'Internal (Network) -> External' and a Firewall rule 'Internal (Network) -> Web Surfing -> Any : Allow'.  Are those in place?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks.  I see 6 network security/firewall rules created by the installer, and now I can reach the internet.  Don't know what stopped it working last night.

Dashboard is still showing eth1 link being down.  What does this mean?  And I wonder if this nic of mine is half duplex as it is showing no duplex light on the switch.
  • Well, I figured since this nic is not showing as full duplex I should replace it.  But when I replaced it with a new card I picked up today, this triggered a licensing issue.  So, even though I installed this software only yesterday, it says my trial has completed [:@]

So, I uploaded the home user license file that I was sent, and when I get in to the webadmin page it now says I have eth2. I set this up with the same wan parameters as before, but state is now down.

So, I'm reformatting and reinstalling to see it can automatically bring up everything for me.
  • Reinstallation completed.  The wizard hung when I uploaded the license file and would not let me click on the "Finish" button.  So, I restarted and finished first before uploading the license file.  Eth0 and eth1 are now both up and working as expected.