First Impressions and Feedback

First off, yes I understand that it is new and will take time to learn where everything is in the New UI.

The New UI and Menus
I agree completely with a previous comment that this UI was designed by Graphic Designers, not by System Admins. It is very pretty, but not extremely functional. Everything is scattered around the new menu system. It definitely doesn't keep in line with the Sophos Slogan "Security Made Simple".  I'm not saying go back to the old UI, but the designers should really sit down with a day to day network admin for input.

Wireless in the New UI
An example of how the UI seems scattered. I had to 3 different sections and 4 different screen to enable wireless, setup an SSID, add a Wireless AP and then create a Group to assign the SSID.  Not very intuitive at all.

Network Interfaces
First - It would be nice to be able to rename them from Port A, Port B, etc.  Renaming them to something that makes sense would be better.  Local LAN, Internet 1, Internet 2, etc.

Second - DHCP on the Interfaces doesn't have an option to refresh the DHCP on the Interface.  You have to edit and save the Interface or reboot.

Third - We lost the ability to turn off the Interfaces.  This is used when troubleshooting or testing.

User Portal
On a positive note I really like the New User Portal.  However, it is missing an initial welcome screen.

Alerts
There doesn't seem to be a way to clear/acknowledge alerts right now.  Which leaves us with a constant warning about "HTTPS-based management is allowed from the WAN"

Just starting to really dig into the functionality of the New OS.  Thanks for letting us pick it apart.
Parents Reply
  • So I spent a couple hours on it yesterday and have to agree. The new GUI is pretty but that menu is very unfunctional.

I think it could still be 3 clicks to most things, but more thought needs to be put into how each category is split up and what pages should be underneath them.

If you consider UTM, most options where 3-4 clicks to get where you want. So this doesn't seem unreasonable. 

The new policy section is very interesting. One rule to control them all vibe.

Still much to play with and so little time.
Children
  • So I spent a couple hours on it yesterday and have to agree. The new GUI is pretty but that menu is very unfunctional.

Totally aggree. And to give an example (not the only one, and not the most important, but very striking): 

Look at the configuration of wireless in copernikus.  This is scattered amongst various configuration menu subcategories and even the asset menu!
  • +1 

Absolutely crazy and stupid GUI proposal for WiFi.

Who could to split a configuration for WiFi solution into three different submenus ?!? 

Who and why ?

alda
  • Up2dated impressions, after first 24h of working with Copernicus...[:)]

My prediction is that Cyberoam users will be delighted with Copernicus upgrade. All of the functionalities will be there, OS and logic is the same, plus great additions like WAF, RED, Wireless..etc, all packed in new redesigned GUI menus.

On the other side Sophos users will be disappointed. New unfamiliar OS with totally different logic that lacks many of the useful features they had with UTM 9.x. Minor features, like new GUI and improved IPS and Application Control will not convince them to do the upgrade.

Since I worked with both platforms, this are my points of view from both of them looking at Copernicus...time will show.
  • Traffic shaping on Copernicus rocks. You can controll traffic from everywhere (web filter, user, group, and so on....) It is very nice.

Installed the first system and to be honest it is very difficult to debug. I think all of us love Astaro Live Log, specially the Firewall live log where you have Red Lines for blocked traffic and green, and white and....
    On Copernicus, there are not many live logs and also they remember me Cyberoam logs (which are difficult to understand). 
    I shared the new interface with some colleagues and they had the same impression: "Astaro Interface is very simple to learn and to manage. There is a logic when you want to search something and creating rules is simple: drag and drop service, network, done". 
    On Copernicus you have to search object (only few objects are showed compared to Astaro where you have full left column) and it takes time to create rules. 
    There are also nice thigs: As I said at the beginning, traffic shaping, ips applied per rule, imap scanning (I did not test yet), zones, reporting, Policies rules creation).

Hope to see better gui for Network Admin for quick deployment (do you imagine creating 50 rules and 200+ objects on it?) and live logs also to help us on troubleshooting.

We will see....[[[:)]]][[[:)]]][[[:)]]]
  • Hi everyone,

thanks for the honest feedback, we really do appreciate it. Your points about the menu navigation being spread out are definitely well understood, and we do have some plans around this.

There are some points that are worth explaining, so you can understand why the menu is laid out as it is today, and where we are going with it. 

To start with. we planned to make objects in the catalog editable and create-able everywhere you would need them. This would remove the necessity to ever go directly to the object catalog. We're not there quite yet, though, as you can see. 

More pages were planned to be combined, reducing the amount of bouncing around needed. We couldn't do everything yet that we hoped, but will improve this in future.

Defaults will be set, and more default objects will be created before GA, to minimize the setup steps needed in many cases.

Some additional navigation features are still in the works, which will minimize, if not  eliminate the feeling of items being too spread out. We'll get these changes into a later beta build.

To give a more tangible example, Wireless setup currently requires 
    a) enabling wireless
    b) connect access points 
    c) adding access points
    d) creating wireless networks and optionally groups
    e) editing access points and setting which wireless networks to broadcast
    f) creating policies to allow traffic

What' we're changing:

• Enable Wireless
    • Create bridged wireless with default SSID
    • Create default guest wireless
    • create default wireless group containing both

This makes the wireless setup now look like this:

a) connect access points
    b) configure access points (possibly by clicking on the dashboard icon notifying of pending access points)
    c) configure policies to allow traffic

In addition, when you're adding or editing access points, you'll be able to add or edit wireless networks right from that widget. We're looking at similar changes elsewhere. we're also working on at putting links to related pages, on each related page, so that areas we weren't able to fully condense in this release, will still be easy to find. So for wireless, for example, you'll see quick links at the top of any wireless page to all of the other wireless functions you might want to visit. 

You might ask why we didn't just group everything related together by specific tasks, in the first place. That's a good question, and it may seem like an obvious action. The menu is now grouped more according to purpose than by task. First, all security implementation related actions should be moved into the policies section. When you're wanting to define a security policy of any kind, this gives you one spot to go. you don't need to think first about what type of action you're trying to define, before you figure out where to go in the UI to implement it. Similarly, if you want to configure anything relating to how the security services operate, such as whether a feature like ATP, heartbeat or otherwise is enabled globally, or what port the web proxy will use, etc.. you'll find that all grouped under the System Services menu. The idea is that this can make for simpler maintenance of the product, though as-is, does make for more difficult setups.  

Was this the right decision? I think there are some advantages to the way it is, but your feedback does indicate clearly that we need to do something to improve. We'll add related links first, and then take a step back and see just how far that gets us. You won't see any changes yet in the next beta build, but we will have some improvements before the beta is done. 

One other component worth mentioning, is live logging. we do have a "live" log viewer, in the system > diagnostics page. We By default, auto-refresh is off, so you need to set the refresh interval if you want it to update. This page is improved in filtering and display capabilities from UTM9, as we turn all log line elements into searchable column parameters. We will make some further improvements in future, such as having it pop out in a new window, support faster refresh intervals, and support filtering across different log files. For now though, well provide some easier to find links to it. 

Thanks again everyone, for the honest feedback. This is exactly the type of feedback we want to see. This is a big move for us to offer such a new UI, and every bit of it is appreciated. We want to know what you like, but it's at least as important to know what you don't. Keep it up!

• The menu is now grouped more according to purpose than by task.

There is definitely nothing wrong with trying to keep the Security Items grouped. This makes sense for a lot of the security items.  However tasks like Anti-Spam, Wireless are separate security features that won't be used by everyone.  Right now in the UTM if I didn't purchase Mail Protection then I just ignore this tab.  And when I use Mail Protection everything I need is in one place.

When you're wanting to define a security policy of any kind, this gives you one spot to go. 

I do like the Policy section and the concept of the policies, but I think that the execution of the policies leaves a lot to be desired.
  • So i've pretty much got a matching config compared to my lab utm. Minus a few missing features its working fairly well. I did notice that HTTPS/SSH is enabled by default on WAN zone. 

Whilst i have mix feelings about HTTPS on; SSH should not be enabled by default IMO on WAN interface.

Edit: Testing the SSL Clientless Access and OMG that custom 'enter url' is genius.

Question however; it does bring the concern of security. In my test I can access any http/s resource inside my LAN if i know the ip/hostname/fqdn. Is there away to limit access on what this feature can/cannot do. IE prevent it from accessing internal resources (that's what the bookmarks are for).
  • Hi Corey,

Thanks for your feedback, and your concern is very valid and we worked on this and it's addressed in upcoming BETA2 version, only SSLVPN will be enabled by default on WAN port, reset will be disabled.

So i've pretty much got a matching config compared to my lab utm. Minus a few missing features its working fairly well. I did notice that HTTPS/SSH is enabled by default on WAN zone. 

Whilst i have mix feelings about HTTPS on; SSH should not be enabled by default IMO on WAN interface.

Edit: Testing the SSL Clientless Access and OMG that custom 'enter url' is genius.

Question however; it does bring the concern of security. In my test I can access any http/s resource inside my LAN if i know the ip/hostname/fqdn. Is there away to limit access on what this feature can/cannot do. IE prevent it from accessing internal resources (that's what the bookmarks are for).

Regards,

Vivek