Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

[8.174][INFO][NONE] HTTP Proxy Memory Usage

Since the release date is coming up soon, I just wanted to give the developers a heads up on http proxy memory usage. The proxy is using about 1gb ram (RES) after a couple of days under light usage. I am using local content database which is adding about 250MB to the memory usage. But even then, 2GB ram is not enough in my opinion to run astaro for 3 users. 

I understand that with the addition of L7 filtration, the proxy memory usage has increased but this will cause problems on smaller appliances under heavy loads in the future and the minimum requirement probably should be bumped up to 4GB.

Screenshots:
1. Initial memory usage after 8.173 clean install.
2. 8.174 Memory usage after 2 days.
3. 8.174 memory usage after proxy restart.

Regards
Bill.

P.S. Had to restart the proxy because it had become very slow. I will monitor that more closely. It would have been nice to see the access time to troubleshoot but its gone [;)]
Parents
  • Total agreement here.  Also as a partner and others astaro promised to put this into 8.2.  Now the backtracking has begun...interesting timing....how about keeping your word on this one Astaro?

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hi William,

... astaro promised to put this into 8.2...

It is in 8.2, it will stay in there, there are no plans to remove the feature, as it obviously is working very well for many of you. "Promise kept" i'd say...

Cheers,
    Kai
  • Hi William,

It is in 8.2, it will stay in there, there are no plans to remove the feature, as it obviously is working very well for many of you. "Promise kept" i'd say...

Cheers,
    Kai

nopers..it was supposed to be in the webadmin as an official feature not a hack which it technically still is.  I can dig up where it was posted it would be a true feature in 8.2 then taken back...promise NOT kept...trying to obfuscate isn't going to endear astaro to anyone.

Other addons to follow

• Hi Kai,
    I was responding to your post. I made a point some little while ago that most ASGs with 2gb of ram will be in trouble with 8.2 let alone the localised db. So basically on any ASG with 1gb of ram or less the memory version isn't going to work, probably won't load without going into swap.

But Biilybob's point is about the memory usage creep, so if the product is subtlety released in 8.2 without a button, then the memory leak needs to be fixed or a work around so that it is reloaded at midnight or a low usage time or something similar.

Ian

In answer to Willaim's post below, I am aware of the some of the other problems that the http proxy developed between 8.174 and 8.200
  •  it was supposed to be in the webadmin as an official feature not a hack which it technically still is.  

Ouch. SvenS will not be amused to hear that, given the amount of work that he has put into it... I can see your point - even though, from a technical perspective, a feature doesn't necessarily need a webadmin button - and i even agree with you: a button somewhere beneath websecurity>>advanced would make sense. But to call it "a hack" is a little hard, don't you think?

I can dig up where it was posted it would be a true feature in 8.2 then taken back... 

I'd really love to see that post. It's not that i don't believe you, it's just that i then can find out who at Astaro failed to yell loud enough to get that damned button in the webadmin.

Cheers,
    Kai
  • Hi Ian,

But Biilybob's point is about the memory usage creep...

The topic of the thread is "HTTP Proxy Memory Usage", and SvenS requested information about the memory usage when the local content filter DB is disabled. 

Since then, nobody cared enough to provide this information. Now what? I have to admit that we have dice to roll out the performance numbers (yes, the performance guys have a strange sense of humor), but we do not have magic crystal balls in the development department yet. [;)]

Cheers,
    Kai
  • Ouch. SvenS will not be amused to hear that, given the amount of work that he has put into it... I can see your point - even though, from a technical perspective, a feature doesn't necessarily need a webadmin button - and i even agree with you: a button somewhere beneath websecurity>>advanced would make sense. But to call it "a hack" is a little hard, don't you think?

I'd really love to see that post. It's not that i don't believe you, it's just that i then can find out who at Astaro failed to yell loud enough to get that damned button in the webadmin.

Cheers,
    Kai

it's on the forums..but i'll get you an exact link..[:)]

Other addons to follow

• Do I still need to do the memory change and reporting function or did Billybob's results provide all the details?

If still required the testing will be delayed a day because I have to interstate on Saturday.

Ian
Reply Children
No Data