[7.460][BUG][FIXED] High Memory Usage of snort

Just installed the new package and noticed that my memory usage is pretty high. I think the problem is snort. If you look at the rules that are available compared to the ones that are enabled, its almost the same number. There were a lot of rules that were disabled before.

Memory is 896mb ( I am a cheap a$$) and it is a dual processor machine with no load and only 3 users.
Parents
  • Certainly is a lot of rules to run up, my memory usage was quite a bit less so I started playing around with the number of rules as well and difference between 5506 patterns and 7900 only looks to be about 1% memory difference on my system running with 1GB.

On the other hand playing with the web security and turning on IM/P2P and AV scanners changing from single to dual scan increased the amount used by 7%.

With all this on I'm sitting at about 58% usage with very little traffic going through the system.
  • I think the difference is coming in with the number of cpu's (dual core etc). If you look at the release notes, they mentioned...

Major New Things
    Intrusion Protection Performance
    *Uses new version of the IPS engine
    *Scales massively when used with Multi-Core CPU/Appliances

I had talked about this previously when 7.45 was first released. Snort runs 2 instances when running on dual proc/core machine; therefore twice the memory usage.
  • I think the difference is coming in with the number of cpu's (dual core etc). If you look at the release notes, they mentioned...

Major New Things
    Intrusion Protection Performance
    *Uses new version of the IPS engine
    *Scales massively when used with Multi-Core CPU/Appliances

I had talked about this previously when 7.45 was first released. Snort runs 2 instances when running on dual proc/core machine; therefore twice the memory usage.
Children