Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

CONFIRMED [7.380] RTL8110SC supported

Hi all!

I spent a couple of hours testing the above NIC-chipset with ASG 7.380.

I can confirm, that the 8110SC NICs were correctly detected and functional.

My setup:
Jetway J7F2WE1G2E P 1200MHz Mini-ITX
Jetway Adapter 02 3xGiga Lan (3x RTL8110SC)
1GB RAM

During setup using the 7.380-ISO, the onboard VIA NIC and three "Jetway Information Technology" NICs were detected.
Later on, astaro listed those NICs as Realtek RTL8110SC/RTL8169SC

Unfortunately quite soon I ran into major problems as on of the three NICs just wouldn't work. I could tell from the LEDs of the middle port (this was a three-nic daughterboard) that this NIC wasn't working at gigabit speed. Instead it was running at 100BaseT Full duplex, our 3Com switch confirmed this. Both other RTL8110SC NICs were working at gigabit speed (using the exact same cable and port).

Ifconfig told me that there were zero transferred / received bytes on the disfunctional NIC but hundreds of thousands of dropped packets in the TX queue, some dropped packets in the RX queue.

I tried several reinstalls, I disabled the onboard NIC, chose different NICs as administrative interface, yet the error remained.
I tried to manually set the speed of this NIC (webadmin -> network -> interfaces -> hardware) unfortunately with no success.

This could be a hardware problem with the daughter board of course. I might order another one tomorrow to check it out.

It would be very interesting if someone could try to reproduce this behaviour.

If you need any more information, just let me know.

All the best,

DiePlage
Parents
  • It's good news that the boards are now recognized.  However, like you, I'd had zero luck in getting a functioning piece of hardware (drivers aside).  I had three of these boards shipped to me in turn, each displaying significant hardware failures/complications.

On one, I couldn't even get a  link light. On another, I got a link light but no actual connection (which sounds like your issue).  The last straw was when I could actually create a successful connection, but I had significant (35%) packet loss.

I'm convinced these gigabit boards are pure junk, at least in conjunction with this motherboard.  I've settled for 100BT and I have had no hardware or driver issues since.  I know that's no consolation for those who must have 1000BT, but perhaps there's some other way of binding 3 100BT ports for faster throughput.  That's way beyond me.
  • VLANs are always an option instead of multiple NICs.

I got a Netgear GS108T "smart" gigE 8-port switch for $105 on Amazon recently, and I currently have it working with VLANs off of an Intel NIC.

Barry
  • Of course that would require the one NIC used to provide the necessary bandwidth. If he only has one 100BT NIC for internal communication then that would be a bottleneck...
  • IIRC, Jetway makes single-NIC gigE add-ons too; not sure if they're any better.

Barry
  • You're right.
    BTW do you know any other miniITX boards that have additional daughter-boards available? I like the approach a lot as it gives you a plattform flexible enough for many applications from firewall to TV harddisk-recorders
  • afaik, Jetway is the only one.

iirc, there used to be some others that could take a WiFi daughterboard, but it was really just a USB wifi, with a place to mount it.

Since the Jetways don't seem to work a lot of the time, and are expensive, I think I'm going to hold out for the new Intel NICs on the MSI 'industrial' Atom board to be supported by ASL.

Barry
  • Hi,
    Just finished installing 7.380 on intel desktop D945GCLF2 where the second NIC is an intel 10/100/1000 pro 82541.

My first installation was with a 300gb sata (5400) laptop drive, took forever and a day to install. 2nd installation was with a 120gb sata (7200) laptop drive a lot quicker.

The Realtek card is recognised but not identified by type.

2nd mistake was to create vlans from the card I was connected on. New installation required.

I thought I was buying a single core N270 atom, but it turns out to be the N330 (1.6ghz) dual core with HT, so "4 cores". Performance, well only usage will tell.

I took Barry's warning about the chipset and investigated this board.
    CPU 8w
    MCH 22w
    ICH 3w
    NIC xw
    hard drive 3w
    cd drive 0w under operating conditions, power removed.

Those figures are worst case, the MCH power requirements should drop by approx 50% because I am not using USB and only one slow memory card.

So I expect about 20w under operational conditions.

Ian M
  • Hi,
    Just finished installing 7.380 on intel desktop D945GCLF2 where the second NIC is an intel 10/100/1000 pro 82541.

My first installation was with a 300gb sata (5400) laptop drive, took forever and a day to install. 2nd installation was with a 120gb sata (7200) laptop drive a lot quicker.

The Realtek card is recognised but not identified by type.

2nd mistake was to create vlans from the card I was connected on. New installation required.

I thought I was buying a single core N270 atom, but it turns out to be the N330 (1.6ghz) dual core with HT, so "4 cores". Performance, well only usage will tell.

I took Barry's warning about the chipset and investigated this board.
    CPU 8w
    MCH 22w
    ICH 3w
    NIC xw
    hard drive 3w
    cd drive 0w under operating conditions, power removed.

Those figures are worst case, the MCH power requirements should drop by approx 50% because I am not using USB and only one slow memory card.

So I expect about 20w under operational conditions.

Ian M
Children
No Data