Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

[7.386] IP licensing - possibly?

[:S]

I don't remember from 7.3 how often it checks, but I've noticed that on the beta, I have NO IP's listed on the licensing page, even though I know there's multiple connections...
  • IIRC, It's supposed to update every night, unless you have an unlimited license.

Barry
  • I've seen the same thing with the licensing daemon on production systems... so long as it doesn't stop things from working, it's no big deal... not sure why it doesn't work on some systems, though.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Whoa... just noticed I've made the rank of "Wizard" ... at what level does one become a Jedi?

[:)]

Sophos Platinum Partner

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Dunno... I just became a wizard recently too.
  • Wow!  Wizards!  Congrats guys.  As just a mere mortal, I'm impressed.  Actually, both of you do contribute a huge amount.  Thanks and keep up the good work.  BTW, where do you store your Magic Wands?
  • So am I to understand when I check the licence usage. Its resetting every evening? 

I am still baffled about how to get my count down? I have set many devices not to use the gateway at all.. The devices talk to my asterisk box but beyond that? I mean they get their NTP from there and calls. I am quite confused maybe somebody can clarify this?

But regardless that is neat that its resetting every evening.

Desktop #1 (Active)
    Desktop #2 (Active)
    MythTV/Asterisk (Active)
    AppleTV (Active)
    iPhone 1 2 and 3 (Active)

The rest of the devices, SPA3102, Aastra 480i, Aastra 480i, Aastra 57i, Linksys SPA962 are my devices that should not be getting a from the gateway? Then I have 2 access points one providing WiFi for my house the other is used to create wireless ethernet if you will. Then I have a Linksys VOIP phone dongle?

None of the above should be asking for IP's no? I dont understand my over the limit occuring..
  • It's not whether they ask for an IP, it's whether the Astaro is asked to forward IP traffic from the device.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • So am I to understand when I check the licence usage. Its resetting every evening? 

None of the above should be asking for IP's no? I dont understand my over the limit occuring..

The license count should update each night, and counted devices will drop off after a week of inactivity.

Devices which never touch the firewall shouldn't be getting counted... make sure Astaro isn't the DHCP server for them (don't run DHCP on Astaro, or give those devices static IPs), and make sure they don't have a gateway set.

The best advice for home users right now is to get active with the 7.4 betas, so you can qualify for a 25-IP home license.

It's not whether they ask for an IP, it's whether the Astaro is asked to forward IP traffic from the device.

I think it's both... machines which (only) use Astaro for DHCP will be counted also.

Barry
  • Ok, here's a new one on me.. woke up to the 'OMG you've used up your licensing' email.  It's used up the all 31 IP addresses I have allocated to me.  I know there's only 8 IP addresses in use behind the firewall, and as far as I can tell, it looks like someone scanning my subnet caused the license allocation.  Why would someone hitting the OUTSIDE cause licenses to be used?[:S]
  • Huberscan, that shouldn't happen... are the IPs from outside the network (internet-routable IPs)?  If so, post a screenshot of the licensing tab showing those allocated IPs, maybe an Astaro tech will see those and ask to see your config, etc.

Sophos Platinum Partner