EAP 2 - Ram Utilisation

Dear All, 

my system has 4 GB of RAM and with EAP2, memory utilisation is 84%. 

Sophos: is this the normal or what you expect for such a system?

Thanks

Parents
  • On X7-SPE-HF-D525(Atom D525) with SD disk and 4GB memory.

Was just about to click checkout on upgrading to 8GB memory - to possibly help with this high utilisation of RAM being a contributing reason for the slow performance of EAP3, when I learned from another thread that Home has max 6GB. 

Perhaps Sophos should consider changing 6GB limit to 8GB for EAP? Seriously, who runs 6GB? Nobody wants to mismatch RAM sticks and reduce performance. I'm sure all users here are pairing memory for max reliability and speed, at 2GB, 4GB or 8GB. Now that 2GB is out of spec for XG, raise the limit to 8GB for Home while keep those CPU headcount constraints.

I am sure, yes, memory optimisations will come later, and make the whole system more efficient and quite content with just 4GB. However, it would be nice if Sophos would give us beta-testers a break and the benefit of not struggling with RAM constraints during this SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW debugging phase.

• Hi,

I run 8gb, two 4gb sticks and have on all my machines. I am not sure what the issue is with having extra ram, it is not like ram is expensive.

Your slow performance is your choice of CPU. If you want to perform debugging you need a much more powerful CPU.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi,

I run 8gb, two 4gb sticks and have on all my machines. I am not sure what the issue is with having extra ram, it is not like ram is expensive.

Your slow performance is your choice of CPU. If you want to perform debugging you need a much more powerful CPU.

Ian

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

Children
  • Thanks Ian, useful info... you've got 8GB RAM, Home license lets you use 6GB, but actually, your RAM utilisation is pretty much on the same mark as everyone else here at the just under 4GB mark. So probably no gain to be had in upgrading RAM at this point.

I note your comment on the CPU, by my speed comment was about the user interface and *just editing* firewall rules, not the throughput performance, which is quite for the intended use... it *is* used for home use, serving internet connex of just 20mb/s, a few basic NAT/portforwarding, to Synology, to phone PBX, a private document/webserver, and no more than 3 or 4 concurrent users. Lock down on schedule to stop the kids watching all hours, and rudimentary web filtering.

The D525 is similar performance to the lower end Sophos Hardware Appliances: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Atom-x5-E3930-vs-Intel-Atom-D525/2967vs611. Don't knock the Supermicro X7-SPE-HF-D525 with IPMI !!  Works. And is certainly a lot more powerful and flexible than the ISP provided router.

• Hi,

I wasn't knocking the CPU for normal use, just if you want debug you will need a faster CPU to update the GUI.

Ian

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP