This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Filtering with Full Transparent Mode on ESXi

I'm trying to run Sophos UTM in Full Transparent mode using a bridged network connection, however web filtering is not working. These forums have a lot of information but I still haven't been able to solve this. If anyone can spot the issue or any other tips I'd really appreciate it!

The network is physically connected as:
ISP modem <-> Sophos UTM <-> Router #1 <-> Router #2

Internet traffic flows through fine, but the Dashboard always says "Web Filtering is active, 0 requests served today" whether I browse the web through Router #1 or Router #2.

Sophos UTM 9.409 has been installed based on these instructions:
http://www.fastvue.co/sophos/blog/easily-evaluate-sophos-utm-9-3-using-full-transparent-mode/ 

Sophos UTM was installed as a VM on ESXi 6.0 Update 2. ESXi is running on a Dell Optiplex 755 with a 2- NIC network card installed for the bridged interface, and the onboard NIC is used for management.

The management port and the LAN port are plugged into Router #1, while the WAN port is plugged into the ISP modem.

vSphere Client > 192.168.7.99 > Configuration > Networking:

1. vmnic0
    • Management network
  2. vmnic1
    • WAN
    • Promiscuous mode turned on
  3. vmnic2
    • LAN
    • Promiscuous mode turned on

Sophos UTM web admin > Interfaces & Routing > Interfaces:

1. eth0
    • "Internal"
    • Dynamic IP: unchecked
    • 168.7.100/24
  2. br0
    • "External (WAN)"
    • Dynamic IP: unchecked
    • 0.0.0/0
    • IPv4 default GW: unchecked

Router #1:

• DHCP enabled (192.168.7.2 to 101)
  • DHCP reservations for:
    • 192.168.7.2 (Router #2)
    • 192.168.7.99 (ESXi server)

Router #2:

• OpenWRT running as access point

I added the Any / Any / Any firewall rule as noted in the instructions.

Sophos UTM > Support > Tools > Ping Check always returns "Ping check did not deliver a result, because of a probably non-existing ip address / hostname." whether I use the "Internal" or "External (WAN)" interface.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, Matthew, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Pinging is regulated on the 'ICMP' tab of 'Firewall' - that might resolve your secondary question.  If not, then it's likely that one or more of your devices doesn't have the right routes or default gateway - that would be for another thread.  Please supply a diagram there with IPs and subnets annotated.

What is in 'Allowed Networks' on the 'Global' tab of 'Web Filtering'?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I've tried "External (WAN) (Network)" and/or "Internal (Network)" on the 'Allowed Networks' on the 'Global' tab of 'Web Filtering' however neither of them made web filtering begin working. Should one of these be used?

I saw your other comments too about pinging so I'll have a go at drawing up a network diagram. Would this diagram help for this thread too?

Thank you for your time!

Matthew.

• Yes, and pictures of your configuration on the UTM.  I'm afraid I can't "see" what you're describing, Matthew.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Here are pictures of my configuration in Sophos UTM:

Dashboard:

Interfaces & Routing > Interfaces:

Web Protection > Web Filtering:

What information would be useful to see in a network diagram?

Kind regards,

Matthew Robinson.

Reply Children
  • I'm guessing from the pics you showed that you have clients in "External (Network)" that you want to have pass through Web Filtering, but I'm confused about the topology.

A diagram would need to show devices (real or virtual), IP addresses and subnets.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you for your previous response. I know it's been quite a while, and I've decided to tackle this again. Hopefully these extra details are what you need:

vSphere Client - Configuration > Hardware - Network Adapters

vSphere Client - Configuration > Hardware - Networking

Here's my network diagram - does this have all the info you need? Sorry about the quality - I'm just a network tinkerer, not a network engineer!

Kind regards,

Matthew.