This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uncategorized URL handling

Hello:

Possibly because we are in Canada, but a large percentage of acceptable sites are "Uncategorized".

Allowing uncategorized sites is not an option as **** seems to find a way.

The users are getting frustrated having to unblock the sites each time they use them. I would prefer not having to manually categorized them and then enter them as an exception.

1. Is there a way to make the unblock "sticky"?

or 

2. an automatic or semiautomatic request to have them catagorized?

I would even be happy with a button that would allow the user to either email the URL to me or add it to a list that I could review and copy into an exception list.

I find the user actually appreciate this and want to participate in the process. It just seems there are no tools that help them (and me) do this.

Tom

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • 2. an automatic or semiautomatic request to have them catagorized?

You can customize this message:

The URL you have requested is blocked by Surf Protection. If you think this is wrong, please contact your administrator.

If the reason given was "Uncategorized not allowed," you may submit the site with a suggested category at

www.trustedsource.org/.../url

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks!

I guess if the users feel that strongly that the site is one they need they will go through the process.

Some sort of automated submission would be great. If someone has taken the time to unblock a site it could be sent for followup. 

I guess it is also economics, Trusted Source does not want to spend time on little used Url so makes you go through the process.

Tom
  • It's pretty much instantaneous (a few hours at most).  It seems like they just do quality control as I've made dozens of categorization requests and a ll of my suggestions were adopted.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I don't know if it applies prior to V9, but I was just successful in further customizing this message with HTML:

The URL you have requested is blocked by Surf Protection. If you think this is wrong, please contact your administrator. 

If the reason given was "Uncategorized not allowed" or the URL was incorrectly categorized, you may submit the site or URL with a suggested category at Trusted Source.  Please select "McAfee SmartFilter XL."

Further, I was able to customize the cache administrator with a click-to-email-name instead of just an email address:

Bob

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • As a home user, when I want to submit a web site category for an "UNKNOWN", which product should I choose?  McAfee SmartFilter XL? 

Thanks,

Bob B.
  • Reassessment Request

Select "Sophos UTM" in the dropdown menu.

I'm not sure if the McAfee database is still the right place to look...

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • Scorpionking, if I understand that form correctly, I take it that one selects "Sophos UTM" unless one is using Endpoint with Web Control, in which case, "Sophos Endpoint Security and Control" should be selected.  Is that how you've used it?

Cheers - Bob
    PS Yes, Bob, it's the SmartFilter XL if going to the McAfee site.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I'm not sure, but I think "Sophos Endpoint Security and Control" is for the "Classic" AV.

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • If you submit through the Sophos Reassessment request, please specify as the Sophos UTM - whether or not you are using Endpoint as well.  This data gets forwarded to TrustedSource.

Using the TrustedSource website directly will likely get you a faster response and is what I recommend.

Teaser for 9.2: There is a new feature that will allow you to recategorize websites on the UTM.  The whitelist is still supported, but the new mechanism is faster and easier for an admin to use.
  • OK - I think my confusion regarding McAfee is because of the link in the documentation.  The link in the UTM documentation takes me to a McAfee Trusted Source Site.  I found this link and we should probably be using it instead:
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-center/reassessment-request.aspx