This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Confusion

Hi..

this is second post previous post no one reply. my confusion is Firewall rule vs filter policy.

fw rule and filter policy must be in same pattern ? i mean if i have default policy,on filter policy it should be on first ?? is there any link between these two pattern.

filter policy like work order base, deny on first, second limited access. But the order also should be match firewall policy in number category.

thanks 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi ferosyed,

Rules are on the Firewall side and are separate to Filter rules, are for web filtering only.

Web Filter uses the standard ports (80, 443 etc) or, anything noted in Web Protection --> Filtering Options --> Misc --> Allowed Target Services.

these are used by the (web) Proxy service to allow or deny access to websites (or filter)

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• understood. is there any way to set two different time set for single policy. i mean work time policy from 8 to 12 and 13 to 17. i  can do this on xg but on utm i can define only one set time.

• I would create another schedule that uses both the time frames or create another web filter policy.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Unknown said:

understood. is there any way to set two different time set for single policy. i mean work time policy from 8 to 12 and 13 to 17. i  can do this on xg but on utm i can define only one set time.

Yes there is.

Assuming for a moment that you are using the default Filter Profile (under Web Protection\Web Filtering).
    Go to Web Protection\Web Filtering Policies tab.

At the bottom is the "Base Policy".  If you click on the "Default content filter action" this is where your category block/allow are all defined.
    The Base policy is used if no other policies match.  Click the + on the Policies tab.
    You are now adding a policy, which you can apply to Users/Groups and Times.
    Under the Filter Action you can select an existing object or click + to add a new policy.

Policies are evaluated top to bottom.  The first policy that matches is used and the filter action applied.

If you want to do two time sets you need to use two policy objects.  But you can reuse the same filter action.  In the UTM the object called "Policy" is a simple mapping of username/time to filter action.

• In fact, ferozsyed, all ordered lists in WebAdmin are handled like Michael explained for Policies.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA