Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot connect to UTM via OpenVPN - config file not working (Linux)

Hi, I'm trying to connect to a Sophos UTM device. I've downloaded the ovpn file direct from the UTM and I understand the network manager (linux) won't import the file. I'm trying to open the file from the terminal window using openvpn --config filename.ovpn, however when I do, I get the result:

Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: name@server.com.ovpn
Use --help for more information.

I am able to connect without issue using Windows, but my Linux machine cannot connect. Any help would be completely appreciated!

screenshot of .ovpn file:

Please help!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Jason and welcome to the UTM Community!

What version of OpenVPN do you have on your Linux box?  Note that the structure of the .ovpn file changed last year.

If you still need help, please Edit your post, delete the pastebin link and insert your image into the post. We can't know if that external site is properly protected. The only malware I've gotten in over 10 years was from an external link to a picture in this forum six years ago.  Thanks in advance!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I've edited my post to include a screenshot of the file instead of the pastebin link

I'm using the latest version of ovpn - 2.4.6

• I've not tried to connect from a Linux box, but I would have expected the first line of the ovpn file to indicate the OS it was installed for.  Are you sure you have the correct client installed?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I've not tried to connect from a Linux box, but I would have expected the first line of the ovpn file to indicate the OS it was installed for.  Are you sure you have the correct client installed?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data