This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reset or reflash RED10 like an APxx

Today one of our RED Devices suddenly stopped working (no firmupdate or something else - just PLOP -> dead).

Now just the power LED (and the LAN Led if connected) are on and nothing happens. I disconnected everything from the RED, waited a hour and plugged in just the powersupply but nothing happens - just the power LED is on.

According to the blinkcodes sheets the unit isn't booting anymore.
Is there a way to reflash a RED just like an APxx or is there an other way to 'hardreset' such a unit?.

Regards
Manfred

Btw. Best thing about it is, that the warranty ended a month ago .. but that so typical for electronic devices.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Manfred,

This just happened to one of my customers.  Contact Astaro support.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I already contacted the support with an RMA request but they denied it and told me to contact the sales department as I asked for a good will solution. I understand that there must be rules/deadlines but I hoped on a little good will or accommodation (I don't know the correct word for 'Kulanz').

I will contact my reseller tomorrow and see if he can do something else than selling me a new device :-).

Regards
    little angry Manfred ;-)
  • Does the device pull an IP address from DHCP?  If so... here's a technique I've used to reset one that went awry once (taken from a combination of support info and things I did):

There is one way to completely blow the configuration from the RED and force it to go out the provisioning server to pull a new config, as just using the unlock code may not work since the RED always goes back to the its previously connected ASG and if it finds that, it will be happy and not go out to find a new config.

The way I have it setup here is I just created a new interface on a spare NIC on our Astaro. Then create 2 PF rules:

1.) NETWORK -- ANY -- RED.ASTARO.COM -- AlLOW
    2.) NETWORK -- ANY -- ANY -- DROP

You could do it by the IP the RED gets as well but we just do so many here I found it easier to just create a new network for our lab.

Then just plug the REDs WAN port into that interface and let it sit, watch the PF log and watch it drop a few times then it will be back to its factory state and will go out to the provisioning server next time.

--- If it's not pulling an IP or trying to "phone home" ... there's probably a way to reflash it using that tool that was posted in the Wireless Forum, but you'd need a firmware file -- if you've got nothing to lose you could try to find the firmware file on your ASG installation. -- do this at your own risk.  I did a cursory search on a local ASG for anything resembling a firmware file for a RED and found nothing -- found the wireless AP firmware though.

Barring all that, though... it may not even be possible to re-flash it -- it may be "dead."

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• From what I understand, Rev.1 cannot be reflashed.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • You may be right.  I did find something that looks like a Rev. 2 flash image over at http://www.astarosupport.org/Downloads ... but I'm not sure that's what it is.

Sophos Platinum Partner

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Hi Bruce,

thank you for your detailed suggestions - but the device does not pull an IP address (in fact there is zero traffic on the interface - tested it with an old autosensing hub and wireshark) - I think that part of the device is dead. Maybe I can use it as a 250eur-unmanagedfourportswitch.. ;-)

I've also found that astarosupport.org site and used the 'redalert.exe' tool and found the bin file - but i think thats for a rev.2 device. But I will remember the redalert tool to check the RED-ability of a problematic site next time :-).

What I've found out is the RED v.1 seems to be based on something that is called Intel IXP435 platform. I found a manual the looks very close to the ingrediences of my RED but I can't understand enough of the content so that doesn't help me.

Regards
    Manfred
  • Sounds like someone let the magic smoke out... probably time for a replacement, unfortunately [:(]

Note that you can purchase a 2-year warranty extension for a new unit rather inexpensively, and it also gives you next-day advanced replacement -- check with your reseller (I know this is available in the U.S. -- many of my customers buy it, but not sure of your locale and what is available there).

Sophos Platinum Partner

• Yeah - I think the magic smoke (nice word - didn't know that one) has left the building. 

As the device failed and support rejected the rma request, I remembered the line in the offer to buy additional warranty for small bucks - a kicked myself somewhere where it hurts badly that I didn't buy it. If I had bought it the device would never ever have failed.

Anyway - I think I will buy a new one .... maybe with extended warranty this time ;-)

Regards
    Manfred
  • Ah... I realized you were in Germany (or thereabouts)... in reference to the origin of the "magic smoke" reference --- when something shorts out, or blows out, due to overload, etc. -- that's the "magic smoke" that's escaping the device.  [:)]

Sophos Platinum Partner

• I had found another nice translation for 'magic smoke': 
    "A mythical substance which is supposededly vital to the functioning of electronic equipment. Therefore when the magic smoke leaks out, the equipment stops working."