This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Getting Web Filtering working

Hello Everyone,

Ok, treat me like a noob. I have been in the IT field a while and this one is throwing me for a loop.

I have a internal network of 172.16.0.0 and my provider that is CableOne that is Fiber.

When I try to use Web Protection for web filtering it stops me from downloading the files I do not want it to download, however all the sites etc are allowed through.

Now my dumb question is, would this be better handled in bridged mode? We had a Lightspeed content filter this is replacing and I need to get it up and running before school starts. Anyone have some basic steps on how to set it up where we had LS Rocket already setup? Yes it did you bridged mode, however I have my External and Internal setup and made a Bridged Interface with no IP and no other network card connected to it.

Also my internal network already sees the gateway as 172.16.1.1 on the internal card on sophos and I would like to keep it that way if I can. If it is possible

Help?

Thanks to anyone who can help with this. I am really struggling with this for some reason and I do not know why?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, James, and welcome to the UTM Community!

I can't "see" your topology - could you give us a stick diagram of it?

I prefer having the UTM at the edge unless it is just a Web Proxy.  In that case, only a single interface is needed and my preference is to use Standard mode where the browsers use the UTM as an explicit proxy.  Unless it's absolutely necessary, I avoid situations where bridging is the only solution.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello Bob,

Well I had a chat with Sophos and Matt there helped me out. It was something I overlooked and it is kind of odd as well.

Under the Web Protection > Filtering Options > Google on the Exceptions Tab

We had to disable that and then it worked. I guess it was a default that put into the system when it came.

Don't remember why or how it was there, but after disabling that and getting rid of the bridge that was created according to their site with two unused nic's it started working.

Also had some issue making sure users could log in, however that was fixed when I just put them all in our Novell Server and used the LDAP there. Seems to work great now....just have to tell everyone their user name and password gets them passed the block (Teachers and Admins that is).

Now i need to find some documentation on how to setup the filter for schools. So thanks for getting back to me. Yes it is on the edge of our network. It comes in from the outside into Sophos and then into our network. Pretty basic setup. The Exception was throwing it thus causing the issue.

Jim

• With all due respect, Jim, I think you should ask Sophos to recommend an experienced UTM installer in your area.  There is no such thing as a How-To that describes how to setup a school.  I wind up charging a lot more to fix first installs by CCIEs than I do for designing and setting up the configuration myself.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • With all due respect, Jim, I think you should ask Sophos to recommend an experienced UTM installer in your area.  There is no such thing as a How-To that describes how to setup a school.  I wind up charging a lot more to fix first installs by CCIEs than I do for designing and setting up the configuration myself.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data