This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Zotac Zbox Nano CI321

I have gotten my hands on this new offering from Zotac and it does have 2 Network interfaces. I created a Install USB drive and when the install runs it detects 2 NICs storage, CPU but stops at 66%

The console last message is
bootstrap: Detecting other devices

It goes no farther than that. I have the BIOS set to legacy and not UFI and I also disabled all the extra HW in the BIOS with many different settings and after each time I still get the same results. I also tried the Boot Options under F3 and they also had the same result When I made the USB install drive I used Ver 9.3 software UTM

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Have you tried with a cdrom?
    Installing from usb is not straight forward.

Sophos XG Home Licence.

Machine: Barracuda F12 appliance (Intel Celeron N3350 CPU, 6GB Ram, 80GB sata SSD)

• Yes I tried that first. This device however does not have the ability to have a SATA CDROM and Hard drive at the same time so I had to use a USB CDROM. It stopped at the same point using a USB CDROM drive
  • Yes I tried that first. This device however does not have the ability to have a SATA CDROM and Hard drive at the same time so I had to use a USB CDROM. It stopped at the same point using a USB CDROM drive

Hi

For whats its worth, you could try running utm in a hypervisor, I use citrix xenserver, running utm9, on a zotac zbox id91. this may help identify where the issue lies.

Aimee
  • like aimdev said: try using an hypervisor like citrix or proxmox, this should do very well.

I'm using a proxmox env with a zotac zbox ci320 (intel quad) and vlan-tagging over one nic.
  • I was able to install XEN server and it installed Sophos however it does add a bit more complexity then I would like. It is to bad the install won't install on the HW it's self. Maybe in future versions I will try again.
  • I was able to install XEN server and it installed Sophos however it does add a bit more complexity then I would like. It is to bad the install won't install on the HW it's self. Maybe in future versions I will try again.

Hi

Glad you got it working. [:)]

One advantage is you can duplicate your UTM9 virtual machine and use it as a spare one 
    in case you mess up the original, for example bad upgrade, configuration  or for ipv6 testing.
    (dont run two at once though!!!) [:O]

One negative issue with the UTM9, is it comes installed with an really old version ( 
  • UPDATE:
    I went to Zotac and they had a firmware update Version 2K150601 I applied it and I also turned off HDMI Sound support in the BIOS. I don't know what did the trick but from a USB DCROM I was able to install Sophs UTM latest Version and it is working very well. It is must better then using a hyper visor as I was NOT able to get full Internet speed that way. Now I am getting my 60mb download speed and the CPU is not taxing that bad at all. I do not use Web security put do have IPS tuned for my installation and needs. This little BOX now is a great option for a Home use UTM. Thanks for everyones feed back. Only other BIOS change was to turn off UFI boot and set to legacy boot in the BIOS.
  • hi jzkkn5,

im planning to build an zotac UTM for home use too with the CI321.
    Can you please tell us a bit more about CPU-load. Does it spikes up to 100%?

thnx for your tips here to build up such a energy saving quiet device for home using..

greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...

• No CPU issues that I can see so far. Attached is the report for the past few days that I have had it in service
  • Thanks for the information jzkkn, that's cinched me on getting this for a home UTM. Are you able to use the WLAN feature of the Zotac as well or is it just the ethernet ports? (Would be a nice added bonus)