This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enabling IPv6

I would like to enable IPv6 on my home UTM. I enabled IPv6 in the Interfaces and Routing, IPv6, Global tab, but so far, the IPv6 status still shows Connectivity: None.

When IPv6 is enabled, an IPv6 address appears for the External (WAN) interface in Interfaces and Routing, Interfaces. The IPv6 address shown is a  /128. The address shown is 2606:6000:  :7dfa/128. (Do I need a /64 for the devices on the home network?) 

A whois lookup of the IPv6 address assigned to the UTM shows that it belongs to my ISP, which shows that it is not a self-assigned address (e.g., not a 

Even though the WAN interface shows an IPv6 address, it does not respond to ping6 packets from an external IPv6 device on the Internet, nor will it ping6 out to the Internet. It will respond to ping6 packets sent to ::1 or to its own external IPv6 address that I mentioned above. I have tested with both the WebAdmin interface and the console. 

In case it matters, the UTM does respond to IPv4 ping packets sent from an external device on the Internet. "Gateway is ping visible" is enabled on the UTM.

I was able to get IPv6 working on my home network (and the Internet) in the past, before I set up the UTM. I used an Apple AirPort NAT/router. Configuration was easy and there were no real issues. It just worked.

Can you suggest what I have forgotten or what I should do next on the UTM to enable IPv6 on the home network?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • If the provider is assigning the /64 for the LAN via DHCP-PD (like Comcast), then you need to do the following:

+ Interfaces & Routing -> IPv6 -> Global
    You should see a Delegated Prefix

+ Copy the Delegated Prefix and place that as the IPv6 address on the LAN interface
    Ex: If the Delegated Prefix is 2601:a:2500:123::/64  then the LAN address could be 2601:a:2500:123::1

+ Interfaces & Routing -> IPv6 -> Prefix Advertisement
    Add a new prefix for the LAN interface.

Verify that under Interfaces & Routing -> IPv6 -> Renumbering
    "Allow automatic IPv6 renumbering" is checked. 

If you want to use DHCPv6 instead of autoconfig for the LAN, then you will have to add the DHCPv6 server and change the Prefix Advertisement to Manged

Note that on the IPv6 Global, it will continue to show "Subnet: NONE".  That is due to the WAN adddress being a /128.
  • Hello priller - Thank you for the suggestions above.

It sounds good, but it appears that the provider (Time Warner Cable) is assigning a /128, based on the IPv6 address that appears for the External WAN under Interfaces.

I do NOT see a delegated prefix in the UTM under IPv6 Global. Instead, I see "Connectivity: None".

You would think that even with a /128, I would be able to ping6 from the UTM's external interface, and it would respond to IPv6 pings as well, but it doesn't. 

I wish I could remember how the Apple AirPort handled and distributed IPv6 when it was connected, but it was last summer, and I have forgotten. I do remember that the computers behind it were able to get IPv6 addresses. Ping6 and other IPv6 connections all worked as expected, too. 

Any other ideas?
  • Is the WAN interface set as IPv6 gateway?

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I just solved my own problem:

In Interfaces, I edited the External (WAN) interface. The "IPv4 Default GW" was enabled, but the "IPv6 Default GW" was not enabled. 

No doubt this explains why the UTM was receiving a single IPv6 address (/128) instead of an address block, and why IPv6 Connectivity was "None". 

I enabled "IPv6 Default GW" for the External (WAN) interface and restarted the UTM and the cable modem. After that, the UTM received a /64 block and the IPv6 Connectivity showed the Native address, delegated prefix, etc.

Internal computers on the home LAN are communicating and responding via IPv6 as expected. 

Thanks to all who took time to suggest fixes.
  • Is the WAN interface set as IPv6 gateway?

It wasn't. It is now. See above. Our posts crossed in cyberspace. Good catch!