This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

block http web proxy

hello everyone..
im an i.t assistant in a company and im new to astaro..
i just wanna know how to block proxy servers so that employees within the company cannot use or connect to the internet(edit: i mean cannot freely surf everything in the internet)..
i know how to block a specific site, but proxy servers, i just cant..

i already disabled the internet options in our a.d but it seems that it only affects ie...some of the employees are clever enough to use portable browsers such as firefox..and they can bypass and surf any website they want..

can you please help me?thanks

-laurence

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hey laurence,

I'm not sure, if I understand but maybe I can help you.

You can activate a Transparent proxy without authentification in your web security settings. After that, all traffic goues through the asg although there's no proxy configured in your browser.

mfg

Peter
  • how can i do that sir?
    and where can i find that?

sorry for the beginners' questions
  • sorry for the beginners' questions

absolutely no problem. :-)

Just go to:

Web Security -> Web Filtering 

- Enable WebFiltering status, if not done before
    - There you choose "Transparent Mode"
    - Authentication Mode: "None" or "Browser"

None means that the user doesn't have to use credentials for surfing. When you choose "Browser" the user has to use username and password for websurfing.

I hope this will help you.

mfg
    Peter
  • absolutely no problem. :-)

Just go to:

Web Security -> Web Filtering 

- Enable WebFiltering status, if not done before
    - There you choose "Transparent Mode"
    - Authentication Mode: "None" or "Browser"

None means that the user doesn't have to use credentials for surfing. When you choose "Browser" the user has to use username and password for websurfing.

I hope this will help you.

mfg
    Peter

i already did that sir..but still they can surf the web.. they're using different web proxy server...
  • In general, it always pays to identify precisely the version of Astaro.  There were changes in terminology recently.  Are you on 7.511, 8.103 or 8.202?

i already disabled the internet options in our a.d

What did you disable?  Or do you mean you disabled the Microsoft web proxy?

At present, in a "Transparent" mode, only HTTP is controlled by the Astaro Web Proxy.  All of the other traffic, especially HTTPS, is passing via a Firewall (Packet Filter) rule like 'Internal (Network) -> Web Surfing -> Any : Allow'.

This means that you must change your configuration to a "Standard" mode to accomplish what you want.  In the "Standard" modes, the Proxy handles all of the Allowed target services' listed on the 'Advanced' tab, so you can disable that 'Allow' rule.

Since you have AD, you can achieve granular control with the Astaro Web Proxy, but you need to do some planning to be sure you don't disrupt your users.  Here's a guide that will help if you want to try using AD-SSO authentication.

Part of your transition will need to be creating a Group Policy that points each user's browser at the Astaro proxy on port 8080.  Since the 'Transparent mode skiplist' ('Advanced' tab) only applies in a "Transparent" mode, you'll need to add some or all of the elements in the skiplist to the 'Proxy Settings' 'Exceptions' in your Group Policy, and you'll need an 'Allow' rule similar to the above that lets traffic go directly to the sites/servers currently in the skiplist.

Finally, You'll want to create and use a 'URL Filtering Category' that includes "Anonymizers".

Good luck!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • BAlfson 
    At present, in a "Transparent" mode, only HTTP is controlled by the Astaro Web Proxy.

it on 8.103 or 8.202?
  • This has been true for all versions of Astaro.  Beginning in V7.4, you can select 'Scan HTTPS (SSL) Traffic', and the Transparent mode will control that traffic, too.  That requires a significant amount of effort on the part of the Astaro admin, though - I didn't think ihazpower wanted to start down that road until he has more experience with Astaro.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • do you have a partner or support contact?  might want to engage a consultant near you.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• sorry for the delayed response everyone

What did you disable?  Or do you mean you disabled the Microsoft web proxy?

Cheers - Bob

ie support proxies to connect to the internet using internet options in the control panel > connection tab or tools tab in ie..that's what i had disabled to prevent proxies..but they used portable firefox and i cant disable its connection settings..then i thought i probably need to set a rule in astaro and i don't know how to do it so i tried seeking people's advice here..

im currently trying yours sir..thanks
    kinda pre occupied with different tasks in the office though..i cant focus well

do you have a partner or support contact?  might want to engage a consultant near you.

partners, currently they're in the different dealer..and their support is queuing..
    hmm support contacts,none and never tried to contact yet..im from philippines and i guess the support is outside my country..

-laurence
  • ie support proxies to connect to the internet using internet options in the control panel > connection tab or tools tab in ie..that's what i had disabled to prevent proxies..but they used portable firefox and i cant disable its connection settings..then i thought i probably need to set a rule in astaro and i don't know how to do it so i tried seeking people's advice here..

Hi, Bob posted above what you need to do to block remote proxies.

Barry