This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

QOS seems dont work

Hi,

Im trying to configure QOS on our Sophos UTM box. i want to limit and shape the bandwidth with a user downloads somethings via web. below is what i did

On the traffic selector 

Source: (IP of the User)
Service: HTTP and HTTPS
Destination: ANY

Bandwidth Pools
Source interface (external wan)
bandwidth :200kbps
up: 210kbps
Traffic selector (checked)

When i tried to download i file it exceeds 210kbps. May i ask if i miss something or i wrongly configured it?

any help is appreciated?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • It would be interesting on which version you've tried to set this up.
    Actually I'm on 9.006-5 and I tried the same (With the same steps), shape the traffic for several websites, but to no avail.
  • It would be interesting on which version you've tried to set this up.
    Actually I'm on 9.006-5 and I tried the same (With the same steps), shape the traffic for several websites, but to no avail.

Hi, im using the same firmware version. i somewhat got it close of getting the shaping. but its inconsistent.

Traffic Selector Source: ANY, Service:, Dest: Internal Network

Thanks
  • Well, for me it looks like shaping simply does not work.
    I tried to set this up as the manual suggests. First I activated and adjusted the ext. IF to the maximum line speed, 2 mbit = 2048 kbit up and down.
    Then I created a traffic selector, I want to shape streaming media and used Application Selector, any/any, dynamic filter, streaming media.
    At least I created a Bandwidth Pool, used the ext. IF, choose the filter and set a bandwidth (Guaranteed Bandwidth: 128 kbit/s (max 128 kbit/s)) and activated it.

When I now have a look at the Flow Monitor for ext. IF and look for i.e. Youtube, the bandwidth usage just shows nonsense. Sometimes the value goes through the roof with an technically impossible value (I do not believe caching comes into game, I tested that with new vids I never looked before) and the throughput never stays below the value I have set up.
  • This question hasn't come up for over a year, so I'm not surprised you guys couldn't find the answer with a google on site:astaro.org.  I think it was BillyBob that posted the solution originally.

There are several things that need to be considered.  First, for example, a response from a web server has port 80 as the source port, not the destination port as does the "HTTP" Service definition.  Next, download traffic has the IP of the client as the destination.  Finally, you can make rules only for outbound traffic in other words, internet downloads are regulated on the Internal interface. So,...
    [LIST=1]
    • Create a group named "Web Surfing Responses" and fill it with services that correspond to responses to "Web Surfing" requests. "HTTP-Responses" would be '80->1:65535', for example.
    • Create a Traffic Selector in QoS: 'Internet -> Web Surfing Responses -> {user's IP}'.
    • Create a Bandwidth Pool on the Internal interface limiting the traffic to 200kb.
    [/LIST]
    Did that do what you wanted?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • An other option is to use the application definitions in the traffic selector - i think thats easier than configuring special traffic definitions (and rules created from flowfilter use them too...). At least for me it works fine for throtteling youtube. The keypoint is to create the rule on the interface that sends the traffic to the client - the internal interface in this case.

Regards
    Manfred
  • use the application definitions in the traffic selector

Thanks, Manfred, I need to play more with that.  It sounds like I'll need to change my personal playbook! [;)]

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ever since astaro became layer7 aware, QoS is really easy...

1. Enable QoS for internal interface ... Screenshot1
    2. Define Traffic Selectors ... Screenshot2
    3. Define Bandwidth pool using the application selector you created... Screeenshot3

Tada... user will be throttled for any application that you select

In 9.1 (currently in beta, you can throttle downloads directly by using the download throttling button. It also lets you throttle large downloads so for example you can start throttling when the file size reaches some defined limit... Screenshot 4

Regards
    Bill
  • If you want to make QoS even easier, login to the UTM and click on the interface you are throttling (Hint: Use Internal/LAN for all incoming traffic)... Screenshot 1
    Flow monitor would open up and you can click on the application that you want to throttle ... Screenshot2. 

You can do this  directly from webadmin also Screenshot3

QoS rule will be created automatically... You can fine tune the rule if you like by editing it and following the instructions from my post above. https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/54/p/41018/142990#142990

Regards
    Bill
  • Thank you Manfred and Bill for pointing this out. I thought setting the filter on the ext.IF would be right, but using the int.IF did the trick.

But IMHO this is only half of the truth. Opening the flow monitors for int.IF outgoing and ext.IF incoming in parallel shows that the ext.IF still uses the full bandwidth for downloading vids (Not constantly, but from time to time) while the int.IF nearly constantly stays at the max. limit I've defined for Youtube. For testing I tried to look vids on more than one PC and then it is more obvious, the ext.IF seems to pull the vids with full speed while the int.IF sends them only with the defined and limited speed.

For me it looks like the content will be sent to the proxy cache for delivering. Basically this is not a problem, but this is no real flow limitation for the ext.IF.

• For me it looks like the content will be sent to the proxy cache for delivering. Basically this is not a problem, but this is no real flow limitation for the ext.IF.

I have used QoS from small deployments of a few users to hundreds of users and it works surprisingly well. The purpose of QoS is to get the best user experience from the bandwidth available and not necessarily throttle someone at exact bandwidth numbers. That is why the term QoS (quality of service).

If you really want to throttle External Interface then you will have to wait till v9.1 which has the capability of download throttling. Download throttling works on external interface instead of internal and will give you the exact incoming numbers if that is what you are looking for.