Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro vlan1 untagged

Hi group,

Does astaro vlan interfaces recognize the standard vlan 1 when untagged?

More specifically, our cisco switches pc's are all on the native vlan 1 for pc's.  I have a need to add a vlan (say vlan 10) and adjust the astaro internal interface to a vlan interface for vlan 1 and vlan 10.  The cisco port would be configured as a trunk port.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • No, sadly this essential and basic feature is not implemented. But you can vote for it here.
  • I'm not quite sure what the big deal is with this; it's a simple matter to configure VLAN 1  and 10 as a VLAN interface on the UTM, and just configure a trunk port on your switch with VLAN 1 and 10 tagged ... I have that setup at several customer sites, and it works fine.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I'm not quite sure what the big deal is with this; it's a simple matter to configure VLAN 1  and 10 as a VLAN interface on the UTM, and just configure a trunk port on your switch with VLAN 1 and 10 tagged ... I have that setup at several customer sites, and it works fine.

That's what I'm asking, you say it works?

vlan 1 untagged and vlan 10 tagged on an astaro interface connected to a trunk port?
  • All you need to do to have connectivity to the VLAN 1 and VLAN 10 networks on one physical UTM port is to configure the two VLANs on the UTM Port, and configure a Trunk port on your switch that connect to the UTM port with VLANs 1 & 10 tagged.  Works fine, all day long.  Done this with Cisco, HP, and 3COM switches.

Not sure why you MUST have VLAN 1 untagged (hybrid) going into the UTM.  I can't think of any sort of advantage to this, unless you are direct-connecting endpoint devices to the UTM ports themselves.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I was reading this thread hoping for a work around myself.  I have a Dell PowerConnect 2724 switch plugged into eth5 with VLANs 21, 22, and 23 enabled (tagged) on port 1.  

We are deploying a managed wireless service that requires initial activation on VLAN 1.

I went to setup VLAN 1 as per the suggestion in this thread.  However, the Dell switch does not allow me to tag the Default VLAN (VLAN 1).  

Any alternatives to pass the VLAN 1 traffic without purchasing a new switch?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Hi, the UTM seems to reserve VLAN1 for the Sophos APs, so if you're using another wireless system, you may still have trouble.

Barry
  • All you need to do to have connectivity to the VLAN 1 and VLAN 10 networks on one physical UTM port is to configure the two VLANs on the UTM Port, and configure a Trunk port on your switch that connect to the UTM port with VLANs 1 & 10 tagged.  Works fine, all day long.  Done this with Cisco, HP, and 3COM switches.

Not sure why you MUST have VLAN 1 untagged (hybrid) going into the UTM.  I can't think of any sort of advantage to this, unless you are direct-connecting endpoint devices to the UTM ports themselves.

hi BrucekConvergent!

First time poster, full time lurker- how have you configured the Cisco ports? i have tried trunking the ports to allow all vlans, trunk to allow the ones i need, and tried making it an access port, and trunk for the vlans i need. my current issue, i am unable to ping my UTM 320's internal port at 172.20.16.1/29 from the router. i can ping all other interfaces in the test network except the UTM at 172.20.16.1. i have tried running debugs and i got somewhere with my router as it said that encapsulation failed. i have made the ports trunk ports to allow all vlans, tried making them access ports to allow specific vlans, and then trunked them to my master switch, and nothing seems to work. i havent had much luck with Sophos as they keep telling me that the issue is the switch, which i understand it could very well be, but they are washing their hands.

the crazy part is that my UTM could connect to the internet, and actually downloaded software (i am running 9.210 btw), but i am unable to ping that internal interface on the UTM. i have allowed all ping settings on the UTM, but i am unable to figure this out.

UTM is UTM 320 in HA configuration running 9.210
    Interface in question is ETH0-
    Type Ethernet VLAN
    VLAN tag 101
    ip address 172.20.16.1

Router is cisco 2811
    Switches are catalyst 2950

this UTM is not production

my config is as can be seen below:

Router- 

Tuscany#sh run int fas 0/1
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 152 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
     description connection to master fas 0/24 trunk port
     ip address 172.20.16.2 255.255.255.248
     duplex full
     speed auto
    end
     no ip address
     duplex full
     speed 100
    end

Master Switch:

Master#sh run int fas 0/24

Current configuration : 99 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
     description connected to Router fas 0/1
     switchport mode trunk
    end

Master#

Master#sh run int fas 0/1

Current configuration : 121 bytes
    !
     description ****TRUNK TO ENTRYPOINT****
     switchport mode trunk
     speed 100
     duplex full
    end

Entrypoint#sh run int fas 0/1

Current configuration : 132 bytes
    !
     description ****TRUNK TO MASTER****
     switchport mode trunk
     no ip address
     duplex full
     speed 100
    end

Entrypoint#
    Entrypoint#sh run int fas 0/10

Current configuration : 169 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
     description ****CONNECTION TO UTM ETH0****
     switchport access vlan 101
     switchport mode access
     no ip address
     duplex full
     speed 100
    end

Entrypoint#
    Entrypoint#sh run int fas 0/11

Current configuration : 138 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/11
     description connected to ROUTER FAS 0/0
     switchport mode access
     no ip address
     duplex full
     speed 100
    end

I appreciate you helping out a lurker forced to come out of the shadows...
    [:(]