Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Failed Install of UTM 9.003 on Dell GX270

I've been running ASG 8.3xx (now at 8.307) on an old Dell GX270 PC for some time now and it works fine.
Last night I tried to manually upgrade to V9.003 using the .iso which I burned to CD. After booting from the CD and answering the pre-install screens it wiped and re-partitioned my HD than promptly failed with "install.tar not found" error kindly leaving me with a wiped machine!  [:@]
I tried several more times with the same result before re-installing V8 which worked fine. Of course I checked and install.tar is indeed in the install directory on the CD and in fact the MD5 sum of the CD is identical to the published checksum for the iso.
Any ideas on what might be wrong and any work arounds?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, if you hit ALT-F2 or ALT-F3, you should be able to see the install messages; maybe there's more info there such as a disc read error or something like that.

Barry
  • I'm having the same problem. Almost wonder if there is a problem with the latest UTM9 iso image. I'm going to try and download the previous ISO, if I can find it. Apparently Sophos has just changed their site within the last few days because now I can't just download the ISO without signing up. :-/
  • Well, downloading the prior version 9.000-8.1.iso didn't work either. I'm now wondering if this is something to do with creating a bootable USB flash install using UNetBootin on my Mac....I was really hoping not to have to try and attach a CD Drive to my 1U box.
  • OK, I can't test right now as I am at work now but I think I discovered my problem. I didn't follow the USB install instructions, the key bits being:

Follow this sequence:
    bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
    bash-3.2# cd /install
    bash-3.2# mkdir install
    bash-3.2# cd install
    bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
    Hit Alt-F1

I had done this in the past but I forgot to check back on my notes. Nothing like wasting a whole night messing around to get my new install working.

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27887
  • I would just burn a cd..[:)]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• To the Original Poster (Xomex):

I have reported this issue before; certain combinations CDROM Drives and Hardware (in our case, USB CD ROM Drives, and some custom appliances) do not respond quickly enough to the installer mount command issued by the install script ... thus when the installation proceeds to the part where the first .tar file is to be copied from the CD to the local HD, it fails.

This started being a problem for installs I did back at Version 8, during the Betas ... I think 8.100 changed something in the script, or the drivers for the USB CDROM drives.  In any event, it drove me nuts, and apparently the developers could not reproduce it (it is somewhat intermittent -- try to install 15 times, and it might work once) ... so for the longest time, if I had a custom appliance install that would not work off of the latest ISO, I grabbed an older ISO, and manually up2dated it all the way up to the current version -- time-consuming to say the least.  Thankfully this was a rare occurrence, as we mostly sell and support the official ASG / Sophos appliances, with which the same CD ROM drives had no issues doing the installs from ISO, go figure (and using the same CDs, burn speeds, drives, etc.).

I did discover a fix when V9 was released; since that would not work with my previous method of installing an old V8 ISO, then up2dating up to the latest version (one can not do an in-place update from V8 to V9 on a software install), I had to find a fix, or give up on custom appliances.

If you press Alt-F2 as Barry described, after you get to the "Select Admin Interface" screen of the install, go to /var/log/ and view the messages files (I use vi, but I think joe, which I don't use, is available) ... scroll through the file -- you should see a line where the CDROM Drive is detected (if you don't see it, then  you have another issue) ... and further down (if your setup has the same problem as what I've seen before) you will see the error "mount:  mount /dev/sr0 on /install failed, no media" ... well, of course there is media in there.  And before the other guys pipe up, I'd tried different brands of CD blanks, different burners, different speeds of burning, even purchased different USB CDROM drives --- on certain appliances / hardware, none of that matters ....

So... what do we do?  Simple ... while you are at that same spot in the install, the "Select Admin Interface" screen (this fix could be executed at an earlier point, I'm sure, it's just what I've settled on as repeatable) ... press alt-f2, and execute this over and over until the mount executes successfully:

mount /dev/sr0 /install   --- note that there is a space between the sr0 and the /install part.

In my experience, you may need to run it 2 or 3 times for the mount to succeed -- if you're not familiar with Linux, note that pressing the up arrow key will "retype" your last command to save you time.  The first mount command I run this way fails with some device availability error -- ignore it and try again.  You should get it mounted on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Once it is mounted, press Alt-F1 and continue the install.  It will work (well, at least the file copy part).

For any Sophos Devs that may read this -- how about adding a sanity check to this portion of the install script -- if the mount does not succeed, try a few more times, and if it still fails, pop up an error so we don't have to go through all the other configuration steps prior to file copy just to have it fail [:)]

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Thanks for bringing this topic up on our radar!

For any Sophos Devs that may read this ...

I've talked to the developer who is responsible for the installer, and he agreed to put this into our Mantis bug tracking system. It's currently not tracked as an "open bug", instead it's in a section for future enhancements and improvements, so I cannot predict when he will approach this -- probably not before 9.1 has been released.

For your reference, the Mantis ID is #23747.

Cheers,
    Kai
  • Thanks Kai -- I did report it before during the betas, but it was not reproducible by Astaro devs at the time... I think adding a simple sanity check and a few re-attempts (with a few seconds of "sleep" time in between) will probably cure this completely.  If the devs want some sort of debug info, etc. I have a few machines around here that I can reproduce it on about 25 to 50 percent of the time.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I followed the instruction in from this post and it worked like a charm.

I have used a USB stick with the latest home-user iso image (9.2), made the stick bootable with Universal USB Installer and installed it on a Sophos UTM 120 (same hardware as UTM 100 and UTM 110).

The BIOS was already pre-configured to boot from USB, the setup startet automatically, I continued with the setup until after the keyboard settings. Started the console with Alt+F2 and the rest of the guide :-)

Without the manual mounting of usb device I got an error "Cannot find install.tar ..."
  • ...is to just mount the usb stick to /install using this command:

mount /dev/sdb1 /install