This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mini-ITX Atom MB

Has anyone tried building an Astaro firewall based on Intel's D945GCLF motherboard and Atom Processor combination (see Newegg ad here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342)?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a low power (80W) unit using this combination, in conjunction with a PCI-based NIC card.

WLK

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I guess you missed the thread here:
    http://astaro.org/showthread.php?t=22049&highlight=atom

My annoyances with the current Intel board are:
    1. even though the CPU is low power, the (desktop) chipset uses a LOT of power (22w, IIRC)

2. LAN is 10/100 only.

I think I ranted some more in the other thread.

If someone comes out with a lower-power chipset, and multi-NIC, including gigE, and it's not much more expensive, I'd get one.
    However, Linux support for the Realtek gigE NICs is extremely poor, so the ones Jetway, et al are using don't work in Astaro.

BTW, 80watts seems a very high target.
    My PIII-800 with 4NICs is maxing out at around 55W, and I still consider that to be too high.

Barry
  • I guess you missed the thread here:
    http://astaro.org/showthread.php?t=22049&highlight=atom

Thanks Barry, but I did see that thread.  I posted the NewEgg link because it appeared to be an Intel mb vice plouf's Jetway mb.  I noticed -- after posting, of course --that the last rater mentions a Realtek NIC driver problem with the current Linux builds (rendering the mb unusable as an Astaro firewall due to its single PCI slot unless, of course, you have a dual port NIC card -- $$$).

Thanks for the data on your PIII unit, didn't know they were that efficient.  I may have to pick up one of these ( https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure/products.php ) to measure mine.
  • FYI, you can build an entire VIA C7 system with 4 10/100 NICs which uses under 30 watts.
    You can even do fanless.

The problem is that they cost over $400 with the fanless case, and only a little less non-fanless, and again, if you get the gigE card, it won't work in Linux.
    A dual-nic setup is still over $300 with most of those boards.
    Search these forums for Jetway if you're interested in these.
    There's some new VIA-brand boards too, but I haven't seen them mentioned here. They're over $200 just for the motherboard & CPU as well.

Barry
  • Thanks for the data on your PIII unit, didn't know they were that efficient.  I may have to pick up one of these (https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure/products.php ) to measure mine.

Too expensive. Look for the Kill-a-Watt on Amazon or Newegg; they're $16-40 depending on whether you want the one that computes the cost as well as power consumption.

BTW, the PIII works great for me at home, but it'd probably choke if I was using the http content filter, antivirus, SMTP spam/AV, etc.

There are plenty of reasonably low-power modern CPUs though.
    Anandtech has a recent "IGP Power Consumption" article at  http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=462,  the entire systems idle at 50W, and peak at 90W, and those are brand-new dual-core processors.
    I'm not sure if Astaro will idle that low though; it doesn't seem to have cpuspeed or any other power throttling for CPUs which support "SpeedStep" or "Cool&Quiet".
    The article does mention that a smaller and more efficient power supply would have saved some additional power though; e.g. a 380W "80+" one, or even smaller if you can find one that is "80+" and well made.

There's some posts here somewhere about an Everex system that was available through Wal-Mart, IIRC. It was probably fairly low power, and it was cheap. I'm not sure if anyone ever tried Astaro on it though.

Barry
  • Too expensive. Look for the Kill-a-Watt on Amazon or Newegg; they're $16-40 depending on whether you want the one that computes the cost as well as power consumption.

You're right, it's expensive...a "Watt's up? Pro" runs ~$130 while Kill-A-Watt unit is ~$20.  I'm no expert, but it appears the Kill-A-Watt unit averages out electrical usage (e.g, KW per month) while the Watt's Up? Pro includes graphing software to show you both steady state and peak demand.  My wife wants me to buy a generator (we've lived through a few power outages over the past few years), so I was also planning to use it to help calculate how big a unit to purchase.  That's important as, I suspect, my grinder pump probably needs much more juice at startup.
  • BarryG,
    how did you determine the power of the chipset?

I haven't been able to find any figures on a bare motherboard. My current system runs cool and according to the UPS draws about 80 watts with a whole lot of networking gear eg switches, VoIP ATA (2), VoIP phones and little print servers hanging off it as well.

Ian M[:)]
  • I'm not sure if Astaro will idle that low though; it doesn't seem to have cpuspeed or any other power throttling for CPUs which support "SpeedStep" or "Cool&Quiet".

Astaro will not. The difference power especially in AMD systems is very significant. Those systems you mention idling at 50w will idle at 80w without Cool'N'Quiet being enabled.

I've asked about it before, but they claim that "saving electricity" it not an enterprise feature or some other crap. Bullshit - being efficient is goal #1 of any business, especially if all you have to do is flip a switch (load the cpufreq modules).

If they are worried about being efficient or the cpufreq modules introducing instability (I've never had any system stability issues using cpufreq), the solution is simple - just add a checkbox which lets you disable the setting.

BTW, you mentioned earlier "poor Linux support of the GigE Realtek NIC"s - that's also BS - I've had a RTL-8169 GigE NIC in my desktop Linux machine for at least two years now and it's worked flawlessly, even when pushing 800Mbps+. The problem is that Astaro has never bothers to backport driver changes to their kernel even when it would significantly expand the hardware base it could be installed on. They always take the position "if it's not on the HCL, take a hike". When frankly, they should say "it's not on the HCL, but let us see what we can do about it".  Yes, this RTL-869 is also on an AMD system with the powernow_k8 module which has also worked flawlessly for years and reduces idle power consumption by 30w and the heat generated by the system significantly.

There's my rant for the day.

If you can't tell, even though I'm a long time Astaro customer with half a dozen systems running in production, there's been enough frustration over issues that should be easy to fix that it's encouraged us to look for other solutions. Right now we're leaning towards pfSense which is a great packet filtering and VPN platform, the developers are very responsive and you can pay for support from a responsive vendor - if you want/need it. It can even run on the impressive ALIX embedded platform. Can you say full packet filter, VPN, etc, on a system which run at 5-7w and costs less than $200?  pfSense support for things like content filtering is very lacking, so obviously, Astaro is a better choice there, but the pfSense guys are working on it so Astaro better keep on their toes.
  • System A: normal ITX with 80Watt Peak, Price 400,-
    System B: super  ITX with 60Watt Peak , Price 500,-
    System C: old P3 with 150Watt Peak, Price 0,-

somebody already make a calculation, how many years you can run System A  until you save 100,- ?

If we are speaking about Kill-A-Watt, than we should start with fridge@home. [:)]

regards 

Gregor Kemter
  • System A: normal ITX with 80Watt Peak, Price 400,-
    System B: super  ITX with 60Watt Peak , Price 500,-
    System C: old P3 with 150Watt Peak, Price 0,-

somebody already make a calculation, how many years you can run System A  until you save 100,- ?

Well, unless you are really pushing your hardware, typical utilization is going to be very low on your average firewall, so I think that using idle power draw is more appropriate.

I also think that your power draw numbers are a bit high. Your typical old P3 will draw around 50w idle and peak at maybe 100w.
  • I don't understand where people get this mis-understanding about heat generated. Any chance to reduce the heat in a computer room is good
    1/. the equipment runs cooler
    2/. less stress on the airconditioning
    3/. less noise in the computer room which is good from a people point of view
    4/. reduced electricity bills because the equipment uses less and therefore the airconditioning uses less.
    5/. result of 4 is CFO is happier, business owner is happier high profits or less operating costs.
    6/. the company has a reduced carbon foot print even it might be a small reduction.

Yes, I know, what about all the other devices around the office and home, but any start in reduction is better than nothing.

TCO is always pushed for just about every item in a computer room.

Now if we can just get IBM to do something about the fans on their servers everyone will be a lot happier.

Ian M[:D]