This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware Specification

I want to know some hardware specifications about the appliances of ASTARO (ASG 110, 120, 220, 320, 425 and 525) such as the Processors type and Speed. I have searched in every Datasheets or PDF that is available, but I couldn't find, although I have found most of what I need. so Please if someone can help me in finding these detailed specification. and thanks in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I want to know some hardware specifications about the appliances of ASTARO (ASG 110, 120, 220, 320, 425 and 525) such as the Processors type and Speed. I have searched in every Datasheets or PDF that is available, but I couldn't find, although I have found most of what I need. so Please if someone can help me in finding these detailed specification. and thanks in advance.

The appliances are CUSTOM Built for ASTARO.
    They do use standard parts though.
    HD is a 2.5" IDE (laptop) in ASG110 to 220
    HD is a 3.5" SATA in SG320 and 425

Ram is PC133 Ram

LAN Ports are ONBOARD embedded

Processors vary by appliance as in type not just speed - Will post back when I get time to look into our units !!
  • Hi rami_rs, 

why do you need that, 
    are the performance numbers not enough?

thx Gert
  • Hey Gert,

well I wanted that because my company needed a specific Details about the ASTARO Firewall. Still didnt found anything about the specs
  • I was searching for ASG110 specs to estimate the performance of my ASG installation on non-Astaro hardware.
    How well will my 1GHz Mini-ITX system work? Will I get at least 50MBps?
    So, for example, if the ASG uses a 800MHz VIA EPIA processor and can pass 100MBps. I can be reasonably assured that my 1GHz VIA C7 board can do at least HALF of that. But if it's using a Pentium M processor, I'm not sure how the speeds would translate.
  • Jimmy, which speeds are you wondering about? IPTables or VPN?

I can max out my 100mbit NICs (INT-DMZ) on an 800MHz PIII with Intel NICs.

Note that Snort (IPS) was significantly slowing down things though when I had a PII 500MHz, so I turned it off for internal to DMZ traffic (I still use it for EXT->DMZ).

BTW, 50MBps isn't the same as 50Mbps... network speeds are normally discussed in bits (little b), not Bytes.

Barry
  • Jimmy, which speeds are you wondering about? IPTables or VPN?

I can max out my 100mbit NICs (INT-DMZ) on an 800MHz PIII with Intel NICs.

Note that Snort (IPS) was significantly slowing down things though when I had a PII 500MHz, so I turned it off for internal to DMZ traffic (I still use it for EXT->DMZ).

BTW, 50MBps isn't the same as 50Mbps... network speeds are normally discussed in bits (little b), not Bytes.

Barry

Oh yeah. Of course you are correct. I meant 50Mbps not MBps. Oops. Big difference!
    I was speaking about the IPTables. I wouldn't be using Snort on that connection. I have FiOS TV sevice and Video on Demand comes in over the Network. HD would require ~15-20Mbps. My service tier for internet is 10Mbps/2Mbps. So I would have to potentially pass 32Mbps. 50 Mbps should cover it.
    I think my 1GHz Jetway mini-ITX should cover it. Don't you? Thoughts?
  • It should be OK. You might want to get more memory though if you're going to use SMTP, HTTP proxy, content filter, and/or AntiVirus features.

Do you have the TV hooked inside the firewall?
    I was reading about FIOS and the recomendations I saw suggested putting the router only on the internet connection, and hooking the TV directly to the FIOS.
    But if it works, great.

Barry
  • It should be OK. You might want to get more memory though if you're going to use SMTP, HTTP proxy, content filter, and/or AntiVirus features.

Do you have the TV hooked inside the firewall?
    I was reading about FIOS and the recomendations I saw suggested putting the router only on the internet connection, and hooking the TV directly to the FIOS.
    But if it works, great.

Barry

The coax goes straight to the Set Top Boxes (STBs) for regular TV. The Cat5 would come in the ONT and go to ASG. After ASG, Cat5 would be run to a Motorola NIM100 (Ethernet to coax bridge) that would be connected to the coax via a splitter. My ASG box would have to pass video traffic while watching Video on Demand selections as well as program data when the STBs update their program guides, etc. I have one more unused interface on my ASG box that I would use for the STB network.
    For services, I use HTTP with content filtering (filtering is only implemented for my Kids PC) and the SMTP proxy.
  • Cool... let us know how it turns out, and what NAT setup you have to do for the STB.

Verizon keeps mailing me about FIOS, but every time I call, they say they won't install to a condo. [:(]

Barry
  • Well, I switched over today. Everything works fine.
    I asked Verizon to re-provision my line for Ethernet (not MoCA). Then I connected the external interface of my ASG to the ONT and configured it for DHCP. After messing with Verizon to get it working (about 15 minutes on the phone). ASG got a DHCP address from Verizon. I connected a Motorola NIM100 to a new interface on my ASG. The Coax side of the NIM100 got connected to the Coax splitter where the Set Top Boxes and the Coax feed comes in. I set up the new interface for DHCP and statically assigned 2 IP addresses for my Set Top Boxes. I didn't really need to do that, but I like the predictable IP assignment. They pulled IPs from ASG as configured. 
    Everything now works. L2TP from the outside works, FiOS TV, Video On Demand. All it needs is a NAT/Masq rule from the new interface to the external interface.
    There are some other functions of FiOS TV that won't work until I configure some incoming DNAT rules and some IGMP rules. Those are related to the ability to log into the Verizon website and program my DVR from outside my home. I'm not really interested in that though.
    Watching an SD Video on demand pushed processor usage to about 15-18%. HD streams are about 3 times the data, so we'll see if I need to get a better Mini-ITX board than the 1GHz Jetway I have now.

On another note. I have a Dell GX150 I'm setting up as a mail server to replace the Compaq DL380 (Power hungry). I have the GX150 connected to a Kill-A-Watt. It idles at 33W and peaks at 58W during boot up. The DL380 is using a LOT more than that. Dual P3-700s and 3 15KRPM SCSIs.