This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AP 15 slow flashing orange light

Hi, I am running the latest patched XG, home license, and on a home grown box.  I have ventured to go in the direction of replacing wifi with new AP's.  I have started with a 15 and if that works will be adding a 55.  

Do I plugged in the AP 15 and the light keeps blinking orange slowly ( with a quick green every 3-4 orange blinks).  I have been looking at threads and documentation and can't seem to get it working.  

1) I have enabled wireless protection

2) allowed zone wifi and Lan

3) No records on Wireless -> Access Points

Checked Logs -> System -> Log comp=Wireless Protection.  

Only see a couple records such as:

- new firmware detected for AP15: 9400-wifi-559f....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Just to clarify, I think the flashing is on the quick side.   After a while the light goes solid orange, blank, blinking green, and then back to the blinking orange with green after every couple.   I believe this is the automatic restart if it is not able to connect.

• Hi,

based on your description it looks like the AP is basically functional (it would stay in solid green right after power-on in case it it bricked).

Please check whether the AP traffic reaches your firewall (via tcpdump and filtering for the MAC address). If this is the case, please check that the interface the AP is connected to is set to accept access points: to go wireless -> wireless settings  and adapt "Allowed Zone".

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

• Hey Dirk,

I have been trying to find any kind of match in the tcpdump but I have not.  I used the display filter to look at port1 (lan), Ethernet Type IPv4.  I could not see any records that resemble the AP or its MAC.   I am not sure how I can specifically search a mac address, if you could let me know, I will try that as well. 

Thanks,

Gary

• Hi,

the command line for tcpdump is: tcpdump -i eth1 -ne ether host 04:4B:ED:19:54:C6

Please also check the cabling/setup. The XG should be the gateway for the AP, so you also have to configure DHCP servers, NAT, ... . The KBA for Wireless in XG ( https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/124397 ) might have some information for error isolation.

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

• I ran this through the CLI.  Do I need to format differently?

• Hi,

I don't have an XG at hand to reproduce it ad-hoc. 'eth1' needs to be replaced with the interface you want to capture packets on, but the error message should look differently when it's an invalid device. You should find the device name using ifconfig . Alternatively, you might try it over Diagnostics -> Packet capture .

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte