Sophos Email customers using IP-based mailflow rule connectors must migrate to certificate-based configuration by March 31st. To see if you're affected Click Here.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Email Encryption EAP, O365 plugin installed but not triggering encryption

I've managed to download and deploy the O365 plugin XML after all.

Now, when I hit the "Encrypt Email" button, the recipient just receives the email in plain.

The encryption does seem to trigger however when using the Subject Line Tagging mechanism in stead.

Anyone else got the O365 plugin working? 

Added tags
[edited by: Raphael Alganes at 9:19 AM (GMT -7) on 11 May 2023]
  • I've been trying to test it on and off for weeks, and I have yet to get it working. I tried adding the plugin globally to my O365 users, as well as to just my user account, both in OWA and the outlook desktop client. I've removed the plugin from all locations, waited days, and tried re-adding it. Early last week,  "encrypting email" was never completing, so I removed the plugin again. Today, I re-added it. It says the message is encrypted but then the recipient receives the message unencrypted. 

I have been waiting for encryption from Sophos for a long time and was excited that they were starting to test it. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a long way to go yet.

• I finally made some headway with it. It finally dawned on me that I needed to be sending my email outbound through Sophos; I only had it configured inbound. 

Once I set up the outbound connector in O365, I was able to receive encrypted messages when sent from OWA.  I still can't get it to work from the outlook desktop client though.

One thing I don't like is taht the recipient receives the encrypted message, there is literally a box for 9 different languages with the option to set the secure message password.

Once I click on the link to set the password, I can see that they are using Echoworx for the encryption. Apparently they didn't bother to create their own, just license someone else's.  I don't see anyway to turn off the additional languages. My bigger worry though is that if the encryption doesn't work, the recipient gets the message unencrypted, leaving a huge security hole.

• Definitely done with the product. Sent several test messages again, one a txt file, the other a pdf, using Outlook and the plug-in. Both stated that message would be sent encrypted, but gmail recipient received both messages unencrypted. 

Add to that, that since using Sophos for outbound mail, I'm no longer able to forward messages from my helpdesk mailbox to my PSA.  

I really wanted the encryption piece to work. 

• Hi  

My apologies to hear about this inconvenience.

Have you already raised a support case for this issue for further investigation? If so, please PM me with your case ID so I can follow up accordingly.

Thanks,

Florentino
    Director, Global Community & Digital Support

Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the 'Verify Answer' button.
    The Award-winning Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids