This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows XP Issue

Hi, last week we started to see issues with XP (yes I know!, we are trying to get rid!) clients becoming unresponsive for around 5-10 minutes before coming back to life. In the event logs it shows a string of errors most notably "Communication error between on-access driver and service for a cross-process thread creation event". I've logged a call with support but wondered if anyone else had seen a similar issue?

Thanks

Lee

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Lee,

You are not alone. We have the same issues with some of the XP systems we still have to keep up and running. Our partner is looking into it. If we receive a reply I will let you know.

Regards,

B-J
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the message. Just an update on our situation...we have created a test group and policy and disabled the HIPS scanning at the request of Sophos support. We have added some of the problem machines to this group and so far it seems to stop the problem. However, we want to use this type of scanning on all machines especially XP! We have also added a new registry key on some machines to enable more logging with a view to sending the logs to Sophos once the issue has triggered. If you need the details of this change let me know.

Also, if you find anything different works for you please update me!

Thanks

Lee
  • Hi,

I will give this a try. Hope we will receive an answer soon from partner.

B-J
  • It would be good to know if all XP computers are affected or not - and to prove it is not all computers. If some are affected and some are not: What is different about the two?

Ideally exclude wildly different computers - in terms of use/installed software, or hardware (spec and form factor) - and compare two fairly similar computers.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,
    I've the same probleme. My computers OS is XP SP3. And my sophos client is : 10.6.2
    My computers randomly freeze. In my Log event i've problem with "SavOnaccess". Can you help me please ?

Thanks

Michael
  • Hi Michael,

The temporary work around at the moment seems to be to create a new Anti-Virus and HIPS policy for your XP machines and within this disable Behavior Monitoring in the On Access scanning settings. We are still trying to capture logs from problem machines to send to Sophos tech support.

Thanks

Lee
  • Problem should be solved. We send in our logs and received this message from Sophos support:

Thank you for the logs I have reviewed these and at first look it seems to be link to a known issue we are seeing with Windows XP computers and HIPs. I have just been notified that we are releasing a fix later today (Feb 9th). You will not need to do anything as this fix will be pulled down with the normal updates.

Once the machine has updated you should have the following file: C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\HIPSRules-10-3-178.bdl

We activated the HIPS again and everything works ok. Hope the same will be for you all.