This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mac: Could not contact primary server

I tried updating my Sophos AV on my mac and it says that it ould not contact the primary server and the error occured today 23 Sep 2012 15:44. Is this related to the fase-positive issue? How long should I wait before trying to update my definitions again? Should I remove and reinstall it?

Brittany

:32639

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Afaik, the only product affected by this issue are windows based, you shouldn't be seeing issues with your Mac as a result of the SHH updated issue. Try updating definitions again, are you updating from SOPHOS? If so please post here or raise a call so they are aware of it. If you are updating froma company location other than SOPHOS  you may have been affected by their recovery work. HTH.

:32647
  • I'm having the same problem, it arrived in the past few days. I can't connect to SOPHOS to download/update, thus my Mac is at risk (technically). Not sure what the heck else to do; I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. Hope I can find a fix soon...

:34975
  • Hi,

First, this is definitely not related to the recent Shh/Updater-B issue (that was never a problem for the Mac platform).

Updating problems are serious issues. You should contact your IT administrator or our Support organization, as appropriate.

You can also do a little bit of troubleshooting on your own. Check the Sophos Anti-Virus.log (via Console) to see if there are any error messages. You should also verify your primary and secondary update location (via Preferences) to see if they match your expectations.

Our updates are delivered over HTTP, so presumably your network is ok (since you can reach the web) but you might need to check for any system proxy settings. Its hard to make any specific suggestions without knowing more about how your network is configured e.g. do you require any specific authentication to access websites.

:35029

---

Bob Cook (bob.cook@sophos.com) Director, Software Development

• well, i have been using sophos for a couple of years now, and never could use the autoupdate function, as it always respond with the same "Could not contact primary server" message. Various OSX versions and macbook pro's were tried. shutting down firewall protection, and various settings, all without result. so I think sophos is not realy mac friendly

:35087
  • Same problem. on Mac OSX. I have not had update since Nov 6th

:35841
  • Does anybody know what this means or how I fix it?  I've tried to uninstall Sophos and thought I did (my icon on my mac is gone) but the little sophos icon is still at the top of my screen in the top bar.  SOOOOO frustrated, been trying to deal with this all day.

:54799
  • How do I get it off my computer then if everybody seems to think it just isn't MAC friendly.  grrrr. :(

:54801
  • It is Thursday, March 19th 2015.  10:27 a.m. Pacific Daylight Savings Time.

Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edidtion, version 9.2.4.

"Could not contact primary server.  Authentication Error: 19 March 2015 10:28"

This has been happening all morning.  Is anyone else seeing this?

:56359
  • I am having the same issue today. 3/19/15

I deleted Sophos, reinstalled, updated my mac software, two shutdowns, all to no avail.

Help!!

:56360
  • Sophos for Mac updates completed without issue yesterday, however today (no matter what Mac I use) I'm seeing the same vague error:

com.sophos.autoupdate: Error: Could not contact primary server: URL is invalid

:56361