This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installation caught error Session::synchronize failed with error code 4.

I am getting the error "Installation caught error Session::synchronize failed with error code 4." on multiple windows 10 PCs.  I have been told this issue can be caused by slow network speeds or the install being blocked by a firewall.  The PCs that give this error are located in the same building as other PCs that have Sophos endpoint protection installed.  As far as I can tell everything is the same on every PC.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Jared,

Can you share us the log file C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\log\ALUpdate.log?  This may help us narrow down the issue.

• Hello Jared Neal,

guess this is the Windows System Error Code 4, ERROR_TOO_MANY_OPEN_FILES, with the ([irony]very helpful[/irony]) descriptive text The system cannot open the file.
    If I ever encountered it it was a long time ago. Don't think, but might be wrong, that these are the most common causes - at least not direct causes. If you search for this error you get the usual snake oils and boilerplate "explanations". Serious articles mention Offline Files as potential cause (and indeed a slow network could indirectly be responsible).

Christian

• There is no log created.  Sophos isn't even installing on the PC to the point where a log is created.  I am seeing the error in Sophos central.  

• I find it hard to believe a slow network is to blame when I have other PCs on the same network that installed Sophos with no issue.  I got an installer from Sophos but I am getting the same error.  The error name is the same in Sophos Central as I have named this post.

• Hi Jared, 

It may very well not be an issue with the network. However, typically when we see a "Session::synchronize failed with error code 4" it is likely an issue with the environment. Or an issue with the computer's connection in the environment. 

From the affected computer, can test to see if it can communicate out to the following domains (or if they are whitelisted): 

• *.sophos.com
    • *.sophosupd.com
    • *.sophosupd.net
    • *.sophosxl.net
    • ocsp2.globalsign.com
    • crl.globalsign.com

Please let us know how you make out. 

Regards, 

RodS

Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Support
    Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link