This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Home Detected Threat - Unable to detect using recommended Sophos Virus Removal Tool

I was forwarded to the community discussion from the chat staff.

I have a threat that is flagged by Sophos Home when it scans the PC. It shows "DriverUpdate - Slimware Util" which is residing in the Recycle Bin as a hidden file. (C:\$RECYCLE.Bin\...)

When I click more info on the threat it then instructs me to download and use Sophos Virus Removal, when I run a scan using Virus Removal it does not detect the threat. However when I re-scan afterward using Home, the threat is still showing. 

What can I do to properly remove this file?

I have cleared recycle bin of all users as administrator using cmd. How is this file still here? 

If I 'Ignore' the warning and re-scan will it show up again? When I click Ignore does that dismiss it temporarily or will Sophos ignore it in future scans? I want to properly address this file, rather than just ignoring it. 

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Mike, 

Please help me with the following:

1. Are you using Sophos Home Free version or the Premium version?

2. What is the operating system on the machine?

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hey Haridoss! Thanks for the quick response. 

Sophos Home - Free Version

OS - Windows 10

Some files were migrated from an old XP drive which was littered with malicious stuff, I suspect it may have come across during that process and is not a true threat on the current Windows 10 system but I'd still like it removed and to clear the flag in Sophos Home when the scan completes. I follow the file path that the Sophos Home scan produces and it is leading me to the current users Recycle Bin - which has been cleared (method mentioned in previous post).

Just thought it was strange Sophos Home recommends to use the Virus Removal Tool which does not detect it. 

Any tips would be appreciated! This has me stumped. False positive?

• Hey Haridoss! Thanks for the quick response. 

Sophos Home - Free Version

OS - Windows 10

Some files were migrated from an old XP drive which was littered with malicious stuff, I suspect it may have come across during that process and is not a true threat on the current Windows 10 system but I'd still like it removed and to clear the flag in Sophos Home when the scan completes. I follow the file path that the Sophos Home scan produces and it is leading me to the current users Recycle Bin - which has been cleared (method mentioned in previous post).

Just thought it was strange Sophos Home recommends to use the Virus Removal Tool which does not detect it. 

Any tips would be appreciated! This has me stumped. False positive?

Children
No Data