Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoints Failing to Install New Update

Hello,

After receiving the new update (10.3.7 3.51) I have 100+ endpoints that are failing to uninstall the new software.  During the install process the old versions of the software are uninstalled, then when the install is starting they error out.  I'm receiving either an "Installation of Sophos AutoUpdate Failed [0x00000008]" error or an "A runtime error occurred. [0x00000062]" error.

From my testing, when this error occurs it's because the AutoUpdate folder that's created in either of the following locations has messed up permissions.  Basically, it won't allow anyone or anything to access it or delete it.  Those locations are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate  -or-  C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\sophos_autoupdate1.dir

If I restart the PC with this problem and boot into Safe Mode, log in then out, the bad file is automatically deleted, restart into normal Windows and try the install again.  At that point everything installs correctly and there are no problems.  

I don't want to have to restart 100+ computers into safe mode if I don't have to, we need a better solution and soon because these computers with this problem are unprotected right now.  Thanks for anyone's help!

:50144

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • So this is by no means a solution, but I thought I'd share.

I just uninstalled Sophos manually (for like the 10th time).  Everytime I've tried to uninstall, I got an error on the AutoUpdate about being unable to move folders, but it continues and disappears from add/remove programs.

Once the product was uninstalled I tried to manually delete the Sophos folders located in Program Files and also ProgramData.  I could not delete them due to a permissions issue, nor could I take ownership of them.  This could be related to the fact that i just finished uninstalled and it wanted a reboot.

I rebooted into safe mode and the folders were still there, but I was able to delete them.  I also deleted all the Sophos logs from C:\Windows\Temp and the folder "Sophos temp" from the same directory.  My logic was that maybe something leftover was making the PC/AutoUpdate think that it did not need the RMS component so it wasn't getting installed with a re-protect.

With those folders gone, I rebooted into normal mode and did a push from the console and all of the components installed successfully.

Again, this isn't very practical for those of us with 200+ endpoints not responding properly but I'm hoping I'll be able to isolate it down to remove some files/folders or changing permissions or something which could be automated, then allow for a successful reprotect.  There are definitely some strange permission things going on since it wouldn't even allow me to execute the Sophos Diagnostic Utility without manually giving myself permission to do so.

:50308
  • So this is by no means a solution, but I thought I'd share.

I just uninstalled Sophos manually (for like the 10th time).  Everytime I've tried to uninstall, I got an error on the AutoUpdate about being unable to move folders, but it continues and disappears from add/remove programs.

Once the product was uninstalled I tried to manually delete the Sophos folders located in Program Files and also ProgramData.  I could not delete them due to a permissions issue, nor could I take ownership of them.  This could be related to the fact that i just finished uninstalled and it wanted a reboot.

I rebooted into safe mode and the folders were still there, but I was able to delete them.  I also deleted all the Sophos logs from C:\Windows\Temp and the folder "Sophos temp" from the same directory.  My logic was that maybe something leftover was making the PC/AutoUpdate think that it did not need the RMS component so it wasn't getting installed with a re-protect.

With those folders gone, I rebooted into normal mode and did a push from the console and all of the components installed successfully.

Again, this isn't very practical for those of us with 200+ endpoints not responding properly but I'm hoping I'll be able to isolate it down to remove some files/folders or changing permissions or something which could be automated, then allow for a successful reprotect.  There are definitely some strange permission things going on since it wouldn't even allow me to execute the Sophos Diagnostic Utility without manually giving myself permission to do so.

:50308
Children
No Data