Overview
Live Discover allows you to check the devices that Sophos Central is managing, look for signs of a threat, or assess compliance.

New to Live Discover & Response queries? See Getting Started In Live Discover - From Beginner to Advanced Query Creation
Make sure to also check out Best Practices On Using Live Discover & Response Query Forum and Sophos EDR Threat Hunting Framework.

Note: For more information on Live Discover, please check out our Product Documentation.

Navigate to a category below to browse and submit a query

Browse Ideas in Category
  • PrintNightMare Spooler Service Check

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    -- FIND SYSTEMS WITH PRINT SPOOLER RUNNING SELECT name, status, start_type, user_account, CASE WHEN status = 'RUNNING' THEN ' Exposed to unpatched vulnerabilities inc. PrintNightmare ' WHEN status = 'STOPPED' THEN ' NOT exposed to unpatched...
  • Query if CVE-2021-40444 MSHTML Mitigations Are Applied

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    The current vulnerability CVE-2021-40444 MSHTML is a zero-day and is awaiting a patch. You should consider the Microsoft guidance in their Security Update Guide: https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2021-40444 This query will...
  • Query for MD5 hashes

• Under Review on
    • 3 Comments
    Hello, I would like suggestions regarding how to put together a query to find MD5 hashes. There is a built-in query called Processes matching SHA-256 hashes in the last 30 days (below), but I would like to search for MD5 hashes not SHA-256, since...
  • Threat Hunting - Discovery of Password Policies

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    A simple query to look for executions of net.exe that make use of the account switch. These are sometimes used by adversaries to discover the local and domain password policies that are in enforced. -- Account Discovery: Password Policies -- T1201 looking...
  • Checking For Print Spooler Vulnerabilities

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    This query will search your endpoints for the following CVEs and their currently released patches: 2021-1675, 2021-34527, and 2021-34481. As of writing this, CVE-2021-34481 is considered still vulnerable and the recommended fix is to disable the print...
  • PrintNightMare Registry Fix Check

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    -- Check Print Server Registry Fix SELECT DISTINCT 'Check Registry Fix' Test, CAST(GROUP_CONCAT(name, ' '||CHAR(10)) AS TEXT) Result, CASE ​ WHEN name = 'RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators' THEN 'Fix Applied...
  • PrintNightmare PrintSpooler Service Check

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    --PrintNightMare Print Spooler Service Check SELECT display_name, status, start_type, user_account, CASE WHEN status = 'RUNNING' THEN ' Exposed to unpatched vulnerabilities inc. PrintNightmare' WHEN status ='STOPPED' THEN ' NOT exposed to unpatched...
  • Query for emerging threat - Check your Pulse

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    REVIEWED by Sophos Yesterday I got one of those alerts that I suspect many of you also receive, another security advisory. This one was for folks who have the Pulse Secure VPN and mentioned that even after applying the patch the adversary could be getting...
  • Top threat indicators on Windows devices with exclusion list

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    Hello World! I think is a great idea modify the default query "Top threat indicators on Windows devices" with a exclusion list of paths. I tried to add a pastebin link with the list of exceptions but it does not work for me. WHERE query_name...
  • Rare process trees with a LOLBIN tool

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    With leadless threat hunting where you are simply looking for strange activity in the environment to determine if it is an as yet undiscovered adversary it is often valuable identify things that are RARE or UNIQUE. With the Rare Tree query below we...
  • Query for CVE-2021-40444 MSHTML Process Event

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    This query will look for a process event that has been associated with this attack. WinWord.exe has launched a child process called "control.exe" and has been seen in the wild with this vulnerability. This does NOT guarantee you've been breached but...
  • Printnightmare Hunting Query (Live Discovery/Windows)

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    Similar to the Data Lake Query (which seems to be having issues since it's not detecting all dll files in all folders) we've also created a Live-Discovery Query for Windows Systems on the Printnightmare Vulnerability. The Query could be scheduled via...
  • Receiving ACL for SAM file not working

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    Hi, I created this query to check which of our systems are effected by serious SAM vulnerability. When I fire the query I not receive any data back. Does someone know what I did wrong? SELECT * FROM ntfs_acl_permissions WHERE path like 'C:\Windows...
  • CVE-2021-40444 MSHTML and other potential malicious processes originating from MS products (Data Lake)

• Under Review on
    • 1 Comment
    Query we've used for looking for possible MSHTML related activity. You can add additional programs to the where clause and filter out false positives using the having clause. The rule is mainly based on the idea of this sigma rule: https://github.com...
  • Threat Hunting - Account Discovery

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    Here is a simple query that can be used to look for any executions of the net.exe command. These are often used by threat actors and malware alike to discover the username and group memberships of local as well as domain accounts. -- Account Discovery...
  • Detecting Kingminer IOCs

• Approved on
    • 2 Comments
    REVIEWED by Sophos See the story from Sophos Labs Uncut on KingMiner: https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2020/06/09/kingminer-report/ The article is both educational and enlightening. One of the aspects of KingMiner that is common with other attacks is...
  • List all NIX processes during a boot session

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    Given a time we want to list all processes that ran during the boot session. -- This will take a few steps. First lets narrow down the time range ---------------------- -- DETERMINE THE LOWER AND UPPER TIME LIMITS FOR THE SOPHOS_PID -------...
  • FORCEDENTRY Safari Check (CATALINA & MOJAVE)

• Under Review on
    • 0 Comments
    SELECT CASE WHEN bundle_short_version = '14.1.2' THEN 'PATCHED' ELSE 'Vulnerable to FORCEDENTRY' END AS VulnCheck FROM apps WHERE name = 'Safari.app'
  • Live Discover Query - That nasty Microsoft DNS bug - SigRED a.k.a CVE-2020-1350

• Approved on
    • 1 Comment
    REVIEWED by Sophos As the title says, Microsoft recently advised a of a nasty bug within MS DNS servers. NakedSecurity has a great write up with suggested actions, PATCH NOW. Or implement a work around. https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/07/15...
  • NIX TTP Detector (MITRE ATT&CK)

• Approved on
    • 0 Comments
    Below is a query to classify activity to MITRE for NIX machines (LINUX and MAC). It runs against the data lake The detection risk level has not been tuned, so you will need to edit the query in your environment. /*******************************...