This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Connecting Sophos slave drive to Windows 10 client

Hi,

I have installed SGN Client 8.0 on Windows 10 1703 client machine (no encryption, only for recovery purpose), and I'd like to read slave drive with SGN client installed.

I add proper key from SGN Management, sync, but disk is not readable.

Normally on Windows 7 PC with SGN 8.0 client is no problem with that.

Where is the problem? Please help.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Marek, 

Please help me with the following: 

1. What is/was the OS on the drive you are trying to slave into Windows 10 machine?

2. Is it Safeguard Encryption or BitLocker encryption used in the drive you are trying slave into the machine?

Windows 10 uses BitLocker encryption, hence if the drive you are trying to slave into has Windows 7 and is encrypted using the Safeguard Encryption, that should be the reason why you are unable to read the drive.

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Marek, 

Please help me with the following: 

1. What is/was the OS on the drive you are trying to slave into Windows 10 machine?

2. Is it Safeguard Encryption or BitLocker encryption used in the drive you are trying slave into the machine?

Windows 10 uses BitLocker encryption, hence if the drive you are trying to slave into has Windows 7 and is encrypted using the Safeguard Encryption, that should be the reason why you are unable to read the drive.

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

Children
  • Hi,

Here you have answer for two question.

1 - Windows 7 x64 Pro

2 – Safeguard Encryption

So seems to be clear for me now.

I asking because we need to migrate all computers to Win10, but I must have options to recover/read old PC/drive encrypted Sophos Encryption (it’s take some time and will have Win7 and Win10 OS for a while), so I must leave one PC with Windows 7 to be able do this?

I know that is options with WinPE solution but slaving the drive is the easy way – for example when disk is broken and I must recovery data using another software solution.

• Hi Marek, 

I am afraid you would have to leave one PC with Windows 7. Once you migrate to Win 10, BitLocker encryption will be used on the machines and you shouldn't have this issue in the future. As long as you have Windows 7 machine (with Safeguard Encryption) in your network, you need to leave one PC with Windows 7 for the recovery.

Haridoss Sreenivasan