This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Google Play store issues

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had created an exception rule for Web Filtering on the Google Play store? I've noticed that large application updates like Skype & Chrome won't successfully update with the Web Filtering turned on, though smaller ones seem yo update without issue.

I'm using the filter in transparent mode without HTTPS. Turning the filter off resolves the problem immediately, though I can't find any blocking or errors in the log. It's like the download is just timing out with the web filter turned on?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi jag2000,

Source: Internal Networks OR 'cell phone games'
    Dest: ANY or Internet

should work, and would be considerably more secure than ANY->ANY

Barry
  • Barry, duely noted. its at my house running the home version.
  • Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had created an exception rule for Web Filtering on the Google Play store? I've noticed that large application updates like Skype & Chrome won't successfully update with the Web Filtering turned on, though smaller ones seem yo update without issue.

I'm using the filter in transparent mode without HTTPS. Turning the filter off resolves the problem immediately, though I can't find any blocking or errors in the log. It's like the download is just timing out with the web filter turned on?

I run with proxy on with no issues.  what is your hardware config?  you probably have a configuration issue somewhere.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Here is what I did to get the play store working for me.
    Note that I do not have an Any->Any firewall rule for outbound traffic.
    Note Also that my device is not in the Transparent Proxy Skiplist

1. Allow outbound traffic to Google Play Ports
    Create Service Definitions for Google Play with TCP ports 5222, 5223, and 5228 (5222 may be for Talk/Chat)
    I added them to a Service Group called Google Services and set up a firewall rule:
    Internal Network -> Google Services -> Any -> Allow

2. Allow those Google Play Ports in transparent proxy Target Services.
    Add those services individually to the Allowed Target Services on the Web Protection -> Filtering Options -> Misc page. 
    Note that Sophos did not allow me to add the service group I created above, I could only add the individual services.

3. Lower the file size for virus scanning to 20mb.
    Web Filtering -> Policies -> Default Content Filter Action - Antivirus -> Do not scan files larger than 20mb
    Note that you would need to make this adjustment in your whatever policy makes sense for you, if you have custom policies.

The first two alone didn't help with Google Chrome at 28mb. Lowering the A/V scan size was the final step.
    Smaller Apps from the Play Store install fine.

Hope this helps.