This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Access local werbservers

I've read the following guide: Accessing Internal or DMZ Webserver from Internal network (Astaro Security Gateway)

However, I haven't been able to get it to work. First, I have a number of HTTP devices locally (Web server, IP Cameras, etc..), but the guide seems to look for forwarding to a specific IP address. Is there a way to configure UTM9 to forward multiple Domain names (I have multiple) to multiple devices on the local network?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'm a little confused. I didn't specifically go out of my way to configure anything with the DNS, but I assumed the default was, and checking seems to verify, that computers on the network get the IP address of the UTM as their DNS server. So, shouldn't the static entries work?

I think static DNS in this case is a red herring so ignore it for now. What is important is when you do a dns lookup from your client PC's for junk.gotdns.com, do you get the external IP address of your UTM? If yes, we're good. If not, we have some work after we get this working.

In either case, we can test this using the external IP address in the URL instead of junk.gotdns.com.

Also, am I asking the right questions? I'm assuming the kind of thing I'm doing isn't unique. Does everyone go through all this configuration, or is there a better way of configuring the network to make doing this easier? It's just that, until Astaro, every router I ever dealt with handled this with, at most, a single check in a box.

You're asking the right questions. The big thing to keep in mind with the UTM is this was made for a technical audience whereas most consumer grade gear is made for a non-technical one. That checkbox hides a lot of assumptions which the UTM doesn't hide. It makes the UTM more powerful, at the expense of being more complex.
  • Hi Andrew, 

I do see your point that the different ports go to different servers.
    RChadwick said he had multiple domains so I was thinking each service had it's own domain or subdomain; I may be wrong.

Nonetheless, more subdomains could be created in the internal static DNS to get around that problem.
    e.g. RChadwick could have static internal entries for
    camera.junk.dyndns.org
    router.junk.dyndns.org
    www.junk.dyndns.org

Which then should work in the browser, setting the port if it's not port 80 internally.

Barry
  • Barry,

He's trying to allow multiple devices behind his firewall to be accessible through one host definition. Essentially he want's to be able to type http://junk.gotdns.com:[portnum]/ and based on the port number reach different devices. So for example, http://junk.gotdns.com:100/ forwards to port 80 @ 192.168.1.100 whereas http://junk.gotdns.com:110/ reaches port 80 @192.168.1.110.

You can't do that with static definitions AFAIK.

Yes Andrew, this is exactly what I'm trying to do. As for the multiple domains, I meant domain names. For instance, I might have junkaddress.com, morejunkaddress.com, and evenmorejunkaddress.com. I also have a DynDNS name.

I just sat down to try your suggestions. Will let you know soon.
    Thanks!
  • OK, I pinged junk.gotdns.com, and got my external WAN IP address.
  • Hi, you'll need to setup FULL NAT as per the guide, or create a unique static DNS entry for each server/device.

Barry
  • Well, now I'm back to the start. I have multiple internal 'web servers' (Actual web server, IP Webcams, video server, etc..) that I need to access remotely, as well as locally. I access them by port number (http://junk.gotdns.com:100). Unless if I'm missing something, I can't set up FULL NAT, as it will redirect to only one internal IP address(Without a port), and I have many internal IP addresses to redirect to. I tried using static DNS entries for each, but only the first one works. The rest do not. 

Can Astaro UTM do this? Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks again.
  • If you use NAT, you need to create a Full NAT for a single port to a single server.
    Post a screenshot of your NATs.

If you use DNS, you need to create a DIFFERENT DNS entry for each device, and use the device's port (probably 80, not 100, ...)
    Post a screenshot of your DNS entries.

Barry
  • OK, I think I got it. If there's anything wrong, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope this can help someone else.

To access a web server at 192.168.1.100, using mywebname.com:123, from a local (LAN) address

Network Protection, NAT, NAT tab
    New NAT Rule
    Rule Type: Full NAT (Source + Destination)
    For traffic from: Internal (Network)
    Using service: HTTP
    Going to: External (WAN)(Address)
    Change the destination to: 192.168.1.100
    And the service to: Port 123
    Change the source to: Internal (Address)
    And the service to: Port 123
    Keep unchecked 'Automatic Firewall Rule'
    Save
  • And specify if you're still using DNAT, or the WAF.

Barry