This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows file sharing over l2tp ipsec vpn

I'm trying to connect remotely to a local pc to access its files.

Remote connection to utm vpn server establishes successfully.  I can see the shared folders of the pc behind the UTM.

However, when I try to copy a remote file (behind the utm) to the vpn client machine it'll start to transfer but then stall out.  Bandwidth is not an issue.  UTM is connected to gigabit capable internet, and vpn client is comcast 200+ mbps capable.  Both of these 'pipes' likely exceed the cpu encryption capabilities of the pc running utm (i5 5250u).

Here's the firewall rule I established which I believe should allow full traversal in both directions.

Internal network is the local lan behind the utm (10.10.1.0/24)

jsolo (usernetwork) is the ip (10.242.3.2 typically) assigned to the l2tp/ipsec user account when logging into this vpn.

I'm thinking perhaps instead of referencing the user account, the entire 10.242.3.0/24 network should be allowed?

Perhaps I'm overlooking some other requirements for file sharing?  Maybe l2tp w/ ipsec is not the best vpn service for this?

I did have to disable the firewall on the pc behind the utm to even be able to ping it. Once I get the utm settings figured out, i'll add the 10.242.3.0/24 as an allowed remote network.

Thoughts, suggestions please.  I'd really like to get this working.

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.