This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I log / monitor the used bandwidth externally?

Hey everyone,
As the topic says, I'm searching for a way to log the utilization of my network externally.
So I found this: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/management-networking-logging-and-reporting/31918/monitor-bandwidth-usage, bus as far as I can see, IPTraf will only give me insights when I log into the console.
I'd prefer in the most simple way something which logs it into a file.

I wouldn't even care (but instead prefer!) if it would write just a single line into a text file and overwrite it continuously.
On my network, I got a media server with some friends beeing able to access media from it via my internet connection.
I don't care what they do - but would be interested to see how much my PPPoE is utilized throughout the day.

As I use home automation, I could parse this line with the home automation server software I use (IP-Symcon), this could be written into a variable and displayed in nice graphs and do all kind of calculations.

Do you have any idea what I could do? I even enabled syslog-logging, but from what I've seen so far, this information is not useful at all.
Regards,
Matthias

This thread was automatically locked due to age.